Pro destroys my graphics card

07-31-2018 10:26 AM
Douglas_Sauer
New Contributor III

Trying my darnedest to migrate majority of work from Map to Pro (2.2.0) but it's giving me grief.

More than 6 times now over the past 2 weeks some inconsequential move/change completely cripples my machine, hogs 100% of resources, crashes the graphics cards, and leaves me totally dead in the water.

This morning I tried to bump up legend box dimension: TOAST

Yesterday, I tried to change a poly symbol fill: DEAD

Last week: hey i think i'll move this map title element: BOOM!!!! 

More coffee breaks and frustration; way less productivity and confidence.

Prop me back up... Any thoughts/experience?

Rendered useless,

Douglas

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't know about prop you back up, but you really need to report on the "Check your computer's ability to run...."

on the ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  page.

Is it smoking hot machine or gasping at meeting the minimum.

Also, source of the data (local, SDE where-ever)

Every project? or just one?

Anything else that you could add

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you getting any erro dmp files?  If so, send them to ESRI to help solve these issues that others may encounter:

Of course we never want to see crashes, but when they do occur, please fill in the error report along with your email and a description of what happened.  This can help if we end up needing to reach out for more info.  

More here: Report software errors—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

"Error report files have the extension .dmp and are saved to the application data location on your local hard drive, typically C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports. The 10 most recent reports are saved."

Douglas_Sauer
New Contributor III

never get to error/crash mssg - although the one time i was really patient it told me the error report was too large to send... do have some dmp files with recent datestamps. these i will send in. thanks.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

THeres really not a lot you can do until you’ve confirmed your machine meets the required specs, which is the FIRST thing tech support will ask you to verify when you call...you are calling TS right?

0 Kudos
Douglas_Sauer
New Contributor III

Yes. Meet specs. Sent .dmp files to support.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Douglas,

Did you verify that the drivers for the GPU are the latest available from NVidia or AMD?

J

Douglas_Sauer
New Contributor III

smokin' hot machine

local data (file gdb)

multiple projects

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're getting an error from the GPU driver the very first thing I'd try would be updating the GPU driver from AMD or NVidia's website directly, NOT from windows update.  If you could post your "can you run it" results that'd also perhaps be expository.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did all of the projects (aprx) get created by starting with the importation of an existing mxd so you did not need to re-invent the wheel with these projects?

If so, can you see if you have better results by starting from scratch in Pro?  This is just a test as I hope that the import process from ArcMap works for the majority of your work so you don't lose all the work that has already been done in ArcMap. I do know that sometimes ESRI software works better if you start fresh without the overhead of previous projects from older versions of the software.