Pro crashes - symbol categories on joined table field when data hosted on ArcGIS Online

05-25-2017 08:36 AM
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Hi, when using Pro v1.4 I'm getting a crash every time I try to symbolise my features in categories based on the value of a field in a joined standalone table - but only when the data is hosted on ArcGIS Online, not locally in a FGDB.  

Do others get the same behaviour in Pro and does anyone know if this a known bug?  I'm struggling find where and how to search know bugs... 

Some more details, and my work around - please let me know if you have a better solution.

I came across this as I want to symbolise my feature points by a priority level which is part of an inspection held in a related table (using Collector to gather the inspections, hence data hosted on AGOL).  I've done some testing, and it doesn't seem to be a problem specific to this data - I get the same crash when testing with newly created, simplified data, and also when the feature class and the standalone table aren't related (but are in the same feature service).  If the feature class is from AGOL but is joined to a local table, then there is no crash, so the problem seems to be with them both being in AGOL. 

The crash happens when trying to select which field to symbolise on - I can see all joined fields in the drop-down, but when I select any field Pro crashes (whether the field is in the feature class or the standalone table). 

I can however do this OK in ArcMap 10.5 (although the joined layer breaks if I close and then reopen the project).

My work around in Pro is to first join my AGOL hosted features to a local copy of the standalone table (I just used object ID for the join, for this temporary step doesn't matter whether the right things match up and the GlobalID to GUID field join I actually use won't work on a copy).  Then using this temporary join I can set up the symbology on the joined field without a crash.  Once that's done, remove the join to the local copy and join instead to the table hosted on AGOL.

Cheers, 

Andy.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Andy,

Did you find a work around for this? I have not experienced this same crash but there are certain 'easy' things I do in Pro that leads to a crash each time (and work fine in ArcMap). I usually just have to adjust one parameter or do something slightly different to get a non-crash-result. I am hoping that Pro 2.0 will eliminate many of the crashes I have come across.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Andy - anytime we see unusual crashes, the first thing recommended is to upgrade one's video card driver.  Go to Device Manager->Display Adapters and jot down the make/model of your video card.  From there, go directly to the manufacturers website and download the latest driver from them.  Windows Update will not update the latest driver for your video card.  Once downloaded, install the new driver, reboot the computer and follow your workflow that causes Pro to crash.  Is the result still the same?  Pls advise.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert, this is good advice! I will remember this for next time I get an unusual crash and see what happens.

AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Both

Thanks for your replies.  I've updated the video card driver, no change - if I've got a feature class and standalone table in AGOL, if I join them in Pro it then crashes every time at the point when I select a field to categorically symbolise my data. 

Adrian, as I said, my work around is to do a dummy join between my feature class on AGOL and a locally saved table with the same structure/data to the one I eventually want to join with on AGOL.  Once I've set up the symbology using the dummy join, I remove this join, and then join to the table on AGOL I actually wanted to join to in the first place. Ugly, but got me there in the end...

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert,

On my Windows 10 PC, I can update the driver on my video cards straight from the Device Manager by right clicking on the video card itself (one less step than going to the internet to download the driver, etc.):

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You could go this route I suppose.  On Properties, does it indicate the driver is 2017 vintage?  Mine would say 2014 even after I did your workflow.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I'm not entirely sure. The date indicates 2016 from what I can tell

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I guess you could go to the Manufacturers website, search for your driver make/model and see what the timestamp is to verify.