Pro Concurrent Use licenses, any drawbacks?

Jump to solution
04-23-2018 09:36 AM
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

We use Concurrent Use licenses to manage our ArcMap usage. We intend to do the same for ArcGIS Pro so all of our Desktop top users, Pro and Map, are managed in the same system and the same server. Is there any reason not to convert all of our Named licenses to Concurrent? Meaning, should I keep one or two back because there’s thing X that can’t be done unless a Named license is in effect?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JTessier

@AmnoyAmcan you confirm Matt's interpretation above, that a Named User license is required to open 3 Pro sessions on the *same machine*?  

Also you mention above: "Of course there are key advantages to using Concurrent Use licensing option as well. " Can you list these advantages and/or disadvantages to Named User licensing vs concurrent, as I am seeing the number of moving parts and firewall configurations between machines being an impediment here, but cant tell if the Portal needs to ever connect directly to the LM server (though it stores the server and port number) but the doc suggests they do not connect directly which is odd for it to store this info.

Thank you!  and Thanks @MattWilkie3 for starting this thread, the doc is not clear on the why you'd pick one over the other.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Matt... you went through the licensing guide? 

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/about-licensing.htm

0 Kudos
MattWilkie3

Yes, I should have said I've gone through those pages. Thanks.  I didn't notice anything that looked like "with concurrent you won't be able to ..." but I wanted to give people a chance to point something out in case I've overlooked something.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok.. my org, just gives me what I want... so I wouldn't know anyway

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Matt,

There are a couple key advantages for using the Named User licensing option:

1.  Client machines are not tied to a particular network.  Any machine that has Internet connection can use ArcGIS Pro.

2.  You can run three applications simultaneously using the same account. 

These are two of the key features you will lose when switching to Concurrent Use licensing option.  Of course there are key advantages to using Concurrent Use licensing option as well.   

MattWilkie3

Thanks for taking the time to respond Amnoy.

Re #1, tying to a single network isn't a problem here, probably even an advantage and not a limitation, but I'm glad to have this aspect drawn out of the background detail.

Re #2, could you expand on what this means please? What 3 applications?

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Named User licensing is only available for ArcGIS Pro.  You log into AGOL or Portal for ArcGIS to assign ArcGIS Pro licenses to user accounts.  Start and log into ArcGIS Pro with the Pro licensed account.  Pro will open with the license level and extensions previously assigned to the account.  You can use the same account to open up to three ArcGIS Pro applications on any device, assuming they have Internet access of course.  You also have the option to take a license offline.  When doing so, the license is only good for the machine you take the license offline on.  You cannot use the same account to log into another session of ArcGIS Pro until the offline licenses are returned.     

The following link provides additional information concerning each licensing option:

ArcGIS Desktop licensing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
MattWilkie3

You can use the same account to open up to three ArcGIS Pro applications on any device, assuming they have Internet access of course. 

So with Named license 1 machine can have 3 Pro sessions running at a time, but with Concurrent only 1 session can happen? That's a departure from ArcMap concurrent license behaviour.

At any rate, you've answered my question enough that I can make a decision, thank you.

0 Kudos
JTessier

@AmnoyAmcan you confirm Matt's interpretation above, that a Named User license is required to open 3 Pro sessions on the *same machine*?  

Also you mention above: "Of course there are key advantages to using Concurrent Use licensing option as well. " Can you list these advantages and/or disadvantages to Named User licensing vs concurrent, as I am seeing the number of moving parts and firewall configurations between machines being an impediment here, but cant tell if the Portal needs to ever connect directly to the LM server (though it stores the server and port number) but the doc suggests they do not connect directly which is odd for it to store this info.

Thank you!  and Thanks @MattWilkie3 for starting this thread, the doc is not clear on the why you'd pick one over the other.

JTessier

Note I did not mark the above as the Solution, I just subscribed to the post, seems like a bug in play in this system as I think Matt would need to mark a reply as a solution.  I just asked more detailed questions.  Weird.

0 Kudos