Pro 2.9.2 crashing when clicking on a symbol or opening the symbology window

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 01:45 PM
Labels (1)
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Starting mid-day today all users in our organization are experiencing crashes of Pro 2.9.2 when we attempt any interaction with symbology, whether by clicking in the Contents pane or opening the Symbology pane. We have tried some fixes found in older posts and bug reports, including changing the rendering engine to OpenGL, clearing the display cache and running a repair, all to no avail. We will look into whether there have been OS or network changes next, but are wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue appear.

104 Replies
AlexA1
by
New Contributor

HI Daniel,

I am having this issue with ArcPro 3.1.2 with . Net frame (4.8.1) installed. I am unable to find the KB5017262 files on the computer to uninstall or disable and the IT team notes it is not installed.

Is there a fix for this with ArcPro 3.1.2?

Alex

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just chiming in.  Same thing here.  Not sure if ESRI is still chasing down specs, but here is what I know:

2022-09 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5017859)

Not sure all the security our IT uses, but I know Windows Defender is our bread and butter.  I was using Pro 2.9[something] but I am currently upgrading to 3.[something] as it seems this issue might linger a bit.  Shoot!  3.0 does not allow for opening CAD automatically.  That's unfortunate...

GoWestGIS
New Contributor

Having the same issue, running ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0 (cannot upgrade to 3.0.0 at this time).  My machine meets all system requirements.

• Latest Windows KBs - KB5012170, KB5017308, KB5017500, KB4023057
  • .NET framework version -   4.8.4084.0
  • Anti-virus - Microsoft Defender/Cortex XDR
  • I believe the graphic drivers are up-to-date
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

I started experiencing this yesterday in ArcGIS 2.9.3.  I would click on any symbol (line, point, polygon) from anywhere (table of contents or symbology pane) and ArcGIS Pro would shut down.  I didn't have the exact update that was reported as being the cause of the problem.  The closest one I could find (by name) was "2022-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8, and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64 (KB5017500)".  I searched online to download the latest .NET runtime and downloaded 4.8.1 even though 4.8 was the only one that was "recommended."  The install, however, wouldn't run because I already had 4.8.1 installed.  I couldn't find anywhere to download any version greater than 4.8.1, except, of course, .NET Core which is at version 6.

0 Kudos
Tony_DLR22
New Contributor III

I have the same issue with 2.9.3. 

0 Kudos
hitsujir_dev
New Contributor II

I have the same issue, running ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0.~2.9.4
My machine meets all system requirements.

Windows 11
Latest Windows KBs - KB5017328, KB5017264, KB5017383
September 20, 2022-KB5017859 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/september-20-2022-kb5017859-cumulative-update-preview-for-...
.NET framework version - 4.8.04161
Anti-virus - Trend Micro virus buster

After I upgrade Pro to 3.0.2, the issue was solved.

Unfotunatelly, my colleagues have used Pro 2.9 yet, so I downgrade 2.9.4 now.
In 2.9.4, the issue was reproduced again.

0 Kudos
JACooper
New Contributor III

Upgrading to ArcGIS Pro v3.0.3 also resolved this issue for me.

0 Kudos
LudekVystyd
New Contributor II

ESRIs fail, every user should be warned by email to not update windows. The problem is caused by latest window supdate, specifically .NET update. 

RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Your feedback is neither helpful nor productive.  Allow me to shed some light on this.

Software development is a highly complex process.  Imagine you are responsible for deploying a product written by hundreds of developers, comprising millions of lines of code, to hundreds of thousands of machines, all of which have a different set of group policies, permission levels, authentication schemes, domains, languages, themes, and run different versions and editions of Windows.  Imagine that your users have chosen which Windows Updates to install and ignore and that you have to account for each combination.  Imagine your product relies on many third-party components you did not write, such as dozens of Python packages, thousands of .NET components, several command shell extensions, and a near infinite number of display drivers, printer drivers, plus web protocols, security standards, and on top of that, uses shared DLLs used by other programs.  Would you feel confident that you could test every possibility, and in such a short time as to notify your users of a possible problem?

Esri does a great job managing all that they can, but sending out an email to ALL of their customers to warn them NOT to install a security patch from Microsoft does not sound like a best practice to me.  Many professionals don't even have control of this aspect, as it's managed by IT departments, security officers, and/or anti-virus software.

Faulting a developer these days is cowardly and ignorant of the many obstacles they face.  They rely on users like you and me to report the problem, the conditions and actions which led to it, so that they can replicate it, and develop a fix as soon as possible.

Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

Appreciate your post here Roger.  We are working diligently to identify the issue.  One of the main hurdles we are trying to clear right now is that we are unable to reproduce this internally.  We are hopeful that we can provide an update here sometime soon. 

For now, we recommend attempting ArcGIS Pro 2.9.4 with .NET 4.8.1.  If possible, move to 3.0.2 where we are using .NET 6 framework - no users in this software version are reporting the issue.