Pro 2.9.2 crashing when clicking on a symbol or opening the symbology window

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 01:45 PM
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Starting mid-day today all users in our organization are experiencing crashes of Pro 2.9.2 when we attempt any interaction with symbology, whether by clicking in the Contents pane or opening the Symbology pane. We have tried some fixes found in older posts and bug reports, including changing the rendering engine to OpenGL, clearing the display cache and running a repair, all to no avail. We will look into whether there have been OS or network changes next, but are wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue appear.

104 Replies
Leeloub
New Contributor III

Hi, 

the .NET did not work for me. Is there a way to get help on this matter please?

RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

@KoryKramer I am also having these issues, but I did not have any of those Windows Updates installed. However, uninstalling this Windows Update fixed the issue for me:  2022-10 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB5018515).

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thank you, Ryan. We added that to the list of updates that causes this crash. The plan is for 2.9.5 to be available tomorrow - that will fix the crash without having to rollback the update. We are also planning 2.8 Patch 8 (2.8.8) to be available the first week of November containing a fix for this.

Thanks again for posting that specific KB.

Mary_BethDieter
New Contributor

2.9.5 fixed it for me, whew, that was stressing me out. 

DirtDogRoj
New Contributor III

I downloaded and installed SP 5 for ArcGIS Pro 2.9 today and now my symbology window doesn't crash.  Thank you!!

MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

2.9.5 fixed it for me. 

PatriciaJames
New Contributor III

We are running ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 on Server 2019 with .Net 4.8.03. KB5017263 caused maps to crash when symbology was changed. Removing KB5017263 fixed the issue. 

0 Kudos
PatriciaJames
New Contributor III

We have since applied SP5 and it is working great!

SeanCarson
New Contributor II

Possible workaround for those that need to wait until updates and/or upgrades can be applied...

• Open ArcGIS Desktop
  • Add data to symbolize
  • Build custom symbology
  • Save as a layer file
  • Open ArcGIS Pro project
  • Add layer file
0 Kudos
FrankSRazem
New Contributor

That is similar to our workaround. We symbolize it in ArcMap, save the mxd, then import the map into ArcPro 2.9.3 and the symbology is correct.