Preset symbology for new layers

08-10-2021 05:50 AM
Robert_Greene
New Contributor II

Hi,

Is it possible to have all new layers added to a map space to have  a pre-set symbology?

Thanks.

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It depends on where they're being added from. If you bring in a web service, it will often include symbology information. Layer files include styling information as well.

If the layer is being added from a database or file, or is being newly created, the symbology is just automatically assigned, but can still depend on other factors like whether subtypes exist for the layer, whether it is COGO-enabled (lines only), etc. Certain other layer types, like anchor points and links used in other editing tools, are created with default symbology.

You can look in the LayerTemplates folder where Pro is installed to see the various pre-configured templates. The full path would be something like C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro/Resources/LayerTemplates.

While modifying Pro's internal files is generally not advisable, these can modified fairly safely. For example, I have modified the template for the Parcel Fabric layers. Before, they all came in as grey polygons, and I changed them to be a softer yellow color.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

If this isn't possible it definitely should be. Seems like it'd be a huge time-saver since 99% of the time I'm changing the symbology for newly added data.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked at using .lyrx files? It can include symbology information.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos