Possible Bug : ArcGIS Pro Creating "MapControlMap" automatically

02-04-2021 09:29 AM
TonyDaSilva1
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Pro is creating all these map controls automatically, some of them have broken sources and there is no way to delete them that I have found and they are slowly growing. Even worse, the map controls listed are not listed in the project map items.

I found them in the Data Sources panel when viewing all the maps in the catalogue of the project.

Please help. [ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1]

TonyDaSilva1_1-1612459652860.png

Tags (1)
9 Replies
BrianGelder1
New Contributor III

I'm seeing this issue as well in 2.7.1. Have you submitted this to ESRI support? Or gotten any other advice?

0 Kudos
Joey_Lecky
New Contributor II

I'm seeing this too. There are hundreds of them. This post is the only thing I could find when searching for "MapControlMap"

And additionally, every time I click a layer in the catalog view to preview the geography there is a "transformation warning" pop-up notification (see below). 

JoeyLecky1_0-1618512692862.png

I can click back and forth between the same two layers and it will generate a new "MapControlMapXXX" each time. 

0 Kudos
BrianGelder1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the information. My work required me to revisit this workflow yesterday and it's still an issue. I guess I'll have to submit it to Support and see what's going on here.

0 Kudos
ChristianEllermann
New Contributor

I'm a novice, so maybe this isn't helpful, but:

I just stumbled over these MapControlMaps, when I was packaging a project. Before packaging I klicked the mistake-analysis-button and several MapControlMaps were listed. I then klicked each MCM and repaired the mistake (missing connections or one MCM had no information (layer) attached to it). After repairing all mistakes, I was able to succesfully pack the project.

0 Kudos
JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

having the same issue on 2.8.3 here. it's very annoying, especially when you need to share the project as project package, it asks you to fix the broken links the mapcontrolmaps which most of them are no longer needed. not sure whether any ESRI tech team will watch this space, probably need submit a ticket (3 in a roll for this week now), more bugs in Pro....

AlBost
by
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue in 2.9.0: I keep getting several MapControlMap# errors but those layers are nowhere to be found in the APRX - not in the maps, sources, databases, nowhere! I've also copied the APRX (twice) to a new location to no avail. Very annoying indeed. 

0 Kudos
AlBost
by
New Contributor II

Problem Solved! Here is the way to fix these: If you go to "Create Project Template" then you can "Analyze" the APRX and then you can resolve the open issues (like removing the links to the layers that you had already removed!). Then you can go back to Packaging the project.

Anna_Kr
New Contributor

I am just trying to package a rather complex project in Ver. 3.0.1 and get +100 mapcontrolmap errors. I would have to manually relink more than 100 features in ghost maps in order to package the project?? Is there a solution to that problem? How can I get rid of the mapcontrolmaps?

Help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

0 Kudos
dwade45370
New Contributor

Through trial and error, I think I found out my reason for the issue. ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1 btw.

Lesson learned: Perform all data management workflows separately from any Pro Project that is intended for exporting as a sharable Package.

Like many in this thread, I was greeted with this MapControlMap### error. Sadly, mine equaled more than 2k for my Pro Project that I wanted to package. Yeah, I have somehow entered a meme realm with that number. Obviously, I am not going to spend time linking severed data sources. I created a NEW project, established appropriate project properties, imported the previous work that would, manually fixed the work that didn't, and was able to successfully package the project afterwards.

I have several Pro projects that do specific things for my workflows. I don't typically cross the streams, as it were. One other Pro project also provided the same errors when attempting to package it. This Pro Project is my data management environment: effectively, catalog focused with a couple maps and a scene, where I perform all/most my data handling needs. I almost exclusively do all of my data pipeline work through this Project and would never actually try to create a package with it. This thing has over 4k errors in this same fashion, gross. It seems that, in a Pro project, anything(?) viewed in a map or linked to or temporarily created, or whatever the full triggers are, it is creating a stamp of that existence in the Project's data sources. You can not remove those project data sources, only reestablish their links. So if you are doing a lot of transitory steps or working with temporary data in your workflows in a Project that you plan for packaging, this may be the cause?

I am not sure why these data sources are not shed when creating a Project Package though. 

0 Kudos