Possible Bug ArcGIS Pro 2.7? Failed to open layout/table view

Jump to solution
12-17-2020 01:30 AM
SanderKiffen
New Contributor II

I recently updated to ArcGIS Pro 2.7, now when I open an APRX that is saved with an earlier version of ArcGIS Pro. I can't open the layouts associated with the APRX. I get the following error/warning: Failed to open layout view.  It then refuses to open the layout and closes the tab.

My colleagues are seeing the same error in the APRX files they open.

One colleague who still has 2.6 installed can open the APRX files without any errors.

Is this a bug?

SanderKiffen_0-1608197235194.png

28 Replies
SteinþórTraustason
New Contributor II

Does your layout have text box? Have you tried to create a new empty layout and draw a text box. When I do that the program crashes. When I try to open layouts made with AP 2.6 and they include text boxes, I get the same error you have.

ErmelindaEspinoza
New Contributor II

Hello

I'm having the same problem.  Last week I upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and now I can't open any previous layout.  I get the error message "Failed to open layout view".  I'm using Windows 10.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

All

We are very interested in identifying the issue regarding the inability to open layout or table views when on Windows 10. We are currently unable to find consistent reproducible steps/data in which developers can track down the issue and offer a solution.

Anyone running into this issue, please contact support. They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support. Once you log an issue with support please add the case number to this thread.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

All, 

There are 2 current 2.7 Layout issues that I would like to update everyone on.

Issue 1: Pro Crashes

We believe this issue has to do with a combination of non-English OS and Spell checking enabled. We also believe that a possible work-around is to disable Spell checking. Here is the relevant help topic - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/proofing-options.htm.

Though we are still working on getting a dependable reproducible case, and need one to validate any fix, we are fairly confident based on the crash dump information that the work-around can help.

This also covered in the following thread: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/pro-crashes-after-adding-text-to-layout-and-annoy...

Issue 2: Failure to open Layout View

The following message appears when opening a layout view.

Screenshot 2020-11-19 053457.png

We are trying to get a reproducible case to investigate this further. It may be related to Spell Check and for those running into this issue it may be worth it to disable Spell Checking.  As we have been unable to reproduce the issue we cannot confirm the work-around. 

Please let us know if this works or does not work.

Hopefully this new information can help some of you get around this issue until we have a fix. Thanks to all of you that have submitted crash dumps - it has really helped us get started on a fix. I'd also like to thank those of you who have logged an issue with Support. Being able to reproduce an issue is the most important thing to understanding the issue and engineering the proper fix.

Thanks for your patience.

Tom

AdminGIS2
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

Regarding Issue 1 I have tested the scenario of creating an APRX out of the default template, inserting a new layout and adding text. With Spell Checking enabled Pro crashed, with Spell Checking disabled Pro did not crash.

But, regarding issue 2 above workaround did not work. With Spell Checking disabled it still gave me the error: "Failed to open layout view". However it seems it is kinda related to issue 1, if we remove all text from the layout (in 2.6) we are able to open the layout in 2.7.

P.S. Our OS is Windows 10 version 1803. So it does not seem to be related to Windows 7.

Sander

SteinþórTraustason
New Contributor II

Hi Tom and thanks for your replies.

When I start a new project and disable spell check, ArcGIS Pro doesn't crash, so Issue 1 is solved for me. But this does not solve Issue 2, I still can't open layouts made in 2.6 even though spell check is disabled.

Regards

Steinthor Traustason

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

All,

Thanks to Sander and Steinþór for confirming that the crash (Issue 1) can be avoided by disabling Spell Checking and for confirming that disabling Spell Checking does not affect the inability to open a layout (Issue 2). Sander makes an interesting point that layouts WITHOUT text do open in 2.7.

We are still trying to reproduce issue 2.

Has anyone entered a bug with support specific to issue 2 - the inability to open the layout?  I would recommend all who can to contact support with data/steps/OS details (English vs non-English)/locale settings concerning this issue. GeoNet is not the forum to gather such information. Even if a bug is already entered, additional information is always helpful.

Thanks, 

Tom

SanderKiffen
New Contributor II

Hi,

After contact with support we discovered a workaround that fixes both issue 1 (Pro crashes when a layout is opened and text is added) and issue 2 (Failed to open layout view error when opening pre 2.7 layout) as described by @TomBole in his reply.

To resolve both issues (at least for me) install the English (United States) language pack in the Region & language settings. The following settings worked for me (notice that your probably won't need Nederlands/Dutch and the Netherlands as a setting, not 100% sure about the Windows display language):

SanderKiffen_0-1611305176431.png

After you have installed the language pack you should be able to open a new layout and add text without Pro crashing and open layouts in 2.7 made pre 2.7 with text. You can also keep Spell checking enabled with this workaround.

Note: some of my colleagues work in a Windows Enterprise environment with limited administrator privileges, this workaround did not work for them. There might be a link between the limited administrator privileges and installing the language pack.

SanderKiffen
New Contributor II

Hi,

The problem discussed in this topic should be fixed by updating to ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1. It was in fact a bug and filed as BUG-000136608, see the release notes. The update also worked for other members of my team for whom the previous mentioned workaround did not work. 🙂

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sander,

Thanks for the good news on ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1!  This was a very tricky issue.  Your help was vital.

Tom