Populate Street Name Index using Arcade

Jump to solution
03-05-2021 12:09 PM
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to create a street name index as described in this post from 2007 Creating street name indexes (esri.com). I would like to know if it is possible to create an arcade script to create the final table rather than manually manipulating the data in excel. For example, I would like my final GridIndex field attribute to populate on one line as Army Reserve Road-D4, D5

SarahHartholt_0-1614974792180.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think you would be best concatenating the D4, D5 in the spatial join initially, then doing any field calculations/arcade labelling.

Where the road intersects each grid in the spatial join, you can set the field mapping to 'Join' and set a delimiter (such as a comma).

A good overview of the process (albeit in ArcMap) Spatial Join’s hidden trick or how to transfer attribute values in a One to Many relationship | Esri...

Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation - look at the filed_mapping parameter.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think you would be best concatenating the D4, D5 in the spatial join initially, then doing any field calculations/arcade labelling.

Where the road intersects each grid in the spatial join, you can set the field mapping to 'Join' and set a delimiter (such as a comma).

A good overview of the process (albeit in ArcMap) Spatial Join’s hidden trick or how to transfer attribute values in a One to Many relationship | Esri...

Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation - look at the filed_mapping parameter.

SarahHartholt

do you know if there is a way to chose the order of the attribute with the join? I would like the Cell_ID to populate in order (D1, D2, D3, D4, D5). some of my cells are populating with the larger number first (D5,D4), as seen below.

SarahHartholt_0-1615228425854.png

I may have to perform some manual manipulation anyways. I will be left with 4 Army Reserve Roads since there are 4 road segments for this road:

Cell_ID: D5

Cell_ID: D5,D4

Cell_ID: D4

Cell_ID: D4

Using the dissolve tool as suggested in the 2007 post will only remove 1 instance of Army Reserve Rd-D4. I suspect that I will be left with 3 features:  Army Reserve Rd-D5,  Army Reserve Rd-D5,D4,  & Army Reserve Rd-D4

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure about sorting in the join.  You might be best just doing a field calculation:

def my_function(value):
    value_list = value.split(",")
    sorted_list = sorted(value_list)
    string = ''
    for value in sorted_list:
        if string != '':
            string += "," + value
        else:
            string += value
    return string

I thought you had repeated roads because of a one-to-many operation.  With the join type being concatenated, you would just need a One-to-one join?  or am I missing something about your roads data (I can only read between the lines so far)?

0 Kudos
SarahHartholt

I guess it's a bit complicated. My original road layer contains multiple segments for a single road (4 for Army Reserve Rd). 1 in D4, 1 that crosses D4 & D5, and 2 in D5.

SarahHartholt_0-1615230565478.png

The process in the 2007 article states that the duplicated roads/cellID's be removed using the dissolve tool AFtER the spatial join has been performed. in this case I would have 4 features: Army Reserve:D4, Army Reserve:D4, Army Reserve D5, Army Reserve D5. The dissolve would then remove the duplicates and leave me with Army Reserve:D4 & Army Reserve:D5

SarahHartholt_1-1615230622874.png

Your original suggestion was to concatenate the CellID's during the spatial join process which, in the 2007 article, is performed BEFORE the duplicated roads are removed. I would again then be left with 4 Army Reserve Rd's:

Army Reserve:D4

Army Reserve:D4

Army Reserve:D5

Army Reserve:D5,D4

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Just dissolve on the field ABBR_NAME first, then run the spatial join after that surely?

SarahHartholt

I used the following Arcade expression to reorder my Cell_ID values:

var arrName = split($feature.Cell_ID, ",");
return Concatenate(sort(arrName),",")