Points along line based on chainages in CSV file

10-25-2021 01:39 PM
Labels (2)
BrianOberdorf
New Contributor II

I want to place a series of points (representing defects) along a polyline (representing a pipeline).  The defect points are measured by a contractor and the distance from the start is provided effectively in a CSV format with a starting distance from one end, along with various parameters I would like to add as attributes.

I can see how to do this for one point at a time.  However I have possibly thousands of points to do.

Is it possible to achieve this in ArcGIS Pro?

An example of the data could be below, the key bits are the line ID and chainage from start.

Line, Start, Chainage, Defect Type, etc, etc
1, MH1, 5.3, BR,
1, MH1, 10.4, DJ,
1, MH1, 65, DJ
14, MH72, 7, DJ
14, MH72, 8, BR
etc
etc

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Table to points? XY Table To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BrianOberdorf
New Contributor II

Thanks DanPatterson.  I think that table to points would work for straight lines if I calculated the coordinates.  Occasionally there is a curved line though and I was hoping to avoid actually manipulating the supplied data incase I made an error.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

if the polyline is segmented, you can spatially join the points to the line.

Look at the "curve" it may look like one, but it may actually be represented by short segments

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

Linear referencing would work.  Create a set of routes from the polylines and then use Make Route Event Layer to create your points. The event layer will persist as derived data in the aprx.  If you need the points persisted to a feature class just export the layer.

0 Kudos