Point to Nearest Polygon

02-07-2018 06:22 AM
MatthewNickeson
New Contributor II

I have a map with a layer of point locations throughout the US and a layer of polygon sectors. All of the US is contained within a sector. I am trying to find the closest polygon to each location by driving distance and driving time. I haven't been able to find the functionality that will allow this analysis since each location is contained within a polygon. Does anyone have any insights whether this is possible and if it is how it could be done?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
MatthewNickeson
New Contributor II

The polygons range in size from most of a western state like WY to several dividing a city. They are administrative areas and there are values for each of the polygons that I want to compare to the one in which it currently resides. (i.e., the closest polygon to facility A is polygon X. polygon X has a higher value M than the polygon facility A is currently in). I need to find this by drive time and drive distance from the facility to the edge of the polygon. Basically that means that I can't use a central point or points on vertices because there is too much precision loss. I hope this makes sense. I wish I could just share the file but that's not possible currently.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Dan Patterson‌ mentioned this before:

I just picture the destinations being an intersection between the polygon(s) and the lines (roads) rather than the location within the polygon.  Have you considered just producing an intersection as described or are you concerned that each intersection point might be associated with two polygons?

This would generate many points, one for each intersection of a road (over which one will enter the area) with the same value M. Doing a closest facility will return the drive time, drive distance for the nearest location. It seems that this "hack" could be a solution to get what you are after.

So, I would go with Dan's solution, although I still don't understand what this value M represents and why it is able to represent such large areas...