Point drawing order by date

03-30-2021 12:29 PM
AJM
by
New Contributor III

I have repetitive samples at the same locations collected in Survey123. I have a map with symbolized point features for those locations in ArcGIS Pro linked to the feature service for the 123 data.

Is there a way in ArcGIS Pro to set the drawing order on the point shapefile, so it is draws the points by the date field, with the newest date on top? By default it seems to put them in order of object id, which is a problem if they are not entered in order into Survey123. This a constantly updated feature service so I cant do a sort and create a new shapefile every time.

Thanks  

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

An option I can see here as you're using a hosted feature layer for Survey123.  When you share from ArcGIS Pro to create the hosted feature layer AND your feature class is an Enterprise Geodatabase (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.), you can publish from ArcGIS Pro and referenced registered data.  The hosted feature layer is referencing the eGDB feature class.  Then nightly, have an ModelBuilder model that's been published to a Python script run nightly at 3 AM via Task Scheduler  to Sort descending the feature class based upon the data field.  When you come in the morning, the feature class is sorted date descending for any map production.  Then repeat daily.  That could work I think IF you're using eGDB feature classes.

0 Kudos
AJM
by
New Contributor III

Thanks @Robert_LeClair  We are just using the standard ArcGIS Online nothing enterprise.

Being able to define the drawing layer order by a field in symbology would be a nice feature to have.  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You are correct that ArcGIS Pro's draw order is based upon ObjectIDs.  There is an enhancement request -  ENH-000105192 - Provide ArcGIS Online map viewer the ability to control drawing order of features in a specific order  - that is under consideration.  Not sure when it will be considered and/or implemented.

0 Kudos
AJM
by
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair Any update on this feature for ArcGIS Pro? I see that it has been implemented for the Online maps. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Just pulled up the enhancement request and see that it's status is "accepted" and "under consideration" now.  Other than that, that's all I can find regarding status.

0 Kudos