Overwrite Web Map or Web Layer from ArcGIS Pro (prerelease)

Jump to solution
11-25-2014 06:41 AM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

I have successfully “Shared” (published) my ArcGIS Pro desktop map to my ArcGIS Online subscription as a “Web Map.”  I made a change to the Pro map at my desktop and want to overwrite the map and data already in AGOL.  When I try to overwrite, I get an Error Message that states: A web layer named “<name>” already exists. Please choose a different name that is unique with your organization. 

What is the suggested workflow to update an AGOL web map and data from my desktop (ArcGIS Pro) to AGOL? Must I log into AGOL and delete all existing map and data items in My Content every time I want to update my web map from my desktop?  Am I jumping the gun with ArcGIS Pro “prerelease”? Will this be possible with December updates to Pro and AGOL?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi Joe,

Overwriting/updating web maps, web scenes and web layers has not been implemented in ArcGIS Pro. This functionality will be available in a future release.

Joanne

View solution in original post

12 Replies
larryzhang

Just share the thoughts:

Was this web app at Online originally published by your Pro?

++++++++++++++++

To test if Pro can be used to update the existing web app hosted at the Portal /Online, I may try the following steps:

1. author and publish a web app within Pro;
  2. update this existing content of web map  in Pro, when needed; and then
  3. restart/ refresh the web app within Pro / Online.
    Maybe, it shouldn’t be republished/ overwritten…

Currently, it looks that web apps can be published via ArcGIS Portal/ Online, WebAppBuilder, or ArcGIS Pro. So far, I don’t see the seamless update of the web app, which is published from above one first, and then can be overwritten by other…

0 Kudos
larryzhang

It is from Doc:

A published web application is based on a web map authored with the map viewer. Any changes the author makes to the web map including its extent, layers, description, and so on, are reflected in the web application. If a map available to everyone in the organization is made private (or deleted), the map no longer appears in the application.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
larryzhang

Joe,

just confirm that the existing web app that Pro created can be replaced within Pro later on

0 Kudos
larryzhang

nice to try:

Pro --- Map package ---Cutomized Widget (by Web AppBuilder -Developer)- web app

Map package can be replaced / overwritten from Pro

0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi Joe,

Overwriting/updating web maps, web scenes and web layers has not been implemented in ArcGIS Pro. This functionality will be available in a future release.

Joanne

MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

It's 2017. Still waiting for this functionality.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

You should be able to overwrite a hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Pro.. I'm fairly certain this functionality has existed for a while.

Overwrite a web layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I'm looking for the ability to overwrite a web map.

GISMountains
New Contributor III

Me either. What about the plans to republish/overwrite a web map?