Select to view content in your preferred language

once and for all: what is the most accurate way to calculate the area of intersecting polygons (i.e. how much of one polygon is within another)?

05-16-2018 01:25 AM
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

This is probably the most important operation anyone has to do with GIS: calculate the area of something within something else. I can't think of a single day when I don't have to do this. So why is there no reliable method?

I am calculating the total area of forest within provinces and districts. I don't use tabulate area because you have to convert the outputs from m2 to something else and it's a pain. I saw the Summarize Within tool in ArcGIS Pro and thought gee that does exactly what I need. 

All my data are in cylindrical equal area projection.

The results I get from using Summarize Within however are greatly different from if I clip my polygon to a province area and add geometry attributes with geodesic area. We are talking large differences here - 20% or more. I have lots of provinces and districts and clipping to each one will take an eternity. 

How are people supposed to reliably calculate area if the GIS tools provided give completely different results? Is there reliable information as to which tool to use and which is more accurate? I am wondering now how much error there are in all the forest area reporting out there when using different tools seems to create huge differences.  

11 Replies
MervynLotter
Regular Contributor

The various outputs should be aligned, I dont know why they are not.

I tried a different data-set this evening and I can replicate your error.  I think the AREA field (and Shape_Area field if you summarize it) may be wrong and I have no idea why. Same projection, no overlapping polygons, ran repair geometry, etc.  I dont have more time to spend on this now. Perhaps use the Summarize Within tool for the time being, as Drew Flater suggested.  

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Summarize Within is the tool we tell everyone to use for this case. If you feel the results are not accurate you should work with tech support so they can troubleshoot the issue and get it to developers to fix the problem if it is found to have inaccuracies. 

I will also take a look at the data you previously updated.