Select to view content in your preferred language

Notebooks Won't Display Images with ArcGIS 3.1

03-27-2023 12:21 PM
LivSutton
New Contributor

When running a little test notebook with ArcGIS 3.0.3, I am able to display images without issue.

LivSutton_1-1679944316693.png

After updating the software to ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0 and running the exact same notebook, I get the following result:

LivSutton_0-1679943498268.png

Here are some other examples of failure to display content in an ArcGIS 3.1 notebook: 

LivSutton_2-1679944713813.png

What could be causing this issue? Again, ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 works perfectly fine, and updating to 3.1 breaks it.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

I tried both in Pro and from standalone notebooks and it looked like it worked OK on my end:

ShaunWalbridge_0-1679948735650.png

If you're trying this from Pro, could you see if it works from standalone notebooks? Could you also try using the default arcgispro-py3 environment to isolate if it is environment specific?

Thanks!
Shaun

0 Kudos
LivSutton
New Contributor

Hi Shaun, thanks for your response!

I just tried using a standalone notebook with my arcgispro-py3 environment and it was able to display images, so it's only notebooks within Pro that I can't. Also, I had been using the default arcgispro-py3 environment both in 3.0.3 and in 3.1. I should also note that I'm having this problem on two separate systems--my desktop PC and work laptop. In both cases, the problem only occurs after updating Pro to 3.1. 

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

OK, is there any chance that you have the deep learning installer laid down for Pro 3.0 still? If you follow the instructions under the "Upgrading from a Previous Version" section of https://github.com/Esri/deep-learning-frameworks/#installation you should be able to get a clean arcgispro-py3 to start with. Once you've confirmed that Pro 3.1 works without the deep learning installer, I would then try to add the 3.1 installer afterward. Unfortunately, this is a gap in our upgrade story as installing the deep learning packages doesn't force an uninstallation of the earlier deep learning packages. If you've already done this, I would uninstall both Pro and DL, then remove anything remaining as in step 3 of those instructions, and then add Pro 3.1 back. Sorry for the hassle!

0 Kudos
DavidPinnick
New Contributor

I have the exact same problem.  IPython display renders HTML in ArcGIS Pro 3.03 but not in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2.  Not sure why the discussion diverges to deep learning.  It seems IPython display functionality is broken in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2.  I work at an agency and have very little control over how software is installed.  I also had an AddIn that worked for ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 but not in ArcGIS Pro 3.03.  I asked an ESRI rep if it was a problem with the AddIn and the rep said that is was a problem with ArcGIS Pro 3.03.

0 Kudos