Not able to merge the layers of point data. Only one layer shows up after merging.

Jump to solution
06-23-2021 04:41 PM
Labels (1)
bee
by
New Contributor III

I'm new to this. I am trying to merge two layers of points to one. I went to Analysis > Tools > General > Merge. I entered the two datasets and hit "run." It generated a "merged" later in the content. However, upon checking, I can only see one dataset. I checked by selecting Appearance > Symbology > Unique Value and see that only the values for one set were included in the layer. I'm clueless as to what's wrong because I've done merge in the other project and didn't have the same issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Looks like the Merge tool keeps all the attributes by default according to the documentation.

@bee Can you post screenshots of your tool parameters?

bee
by
New Contributor III

Here it is. Thanks for your help.

bee_0-1624557726756.png

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I think if the fields are the same I would also try to use the append tool. Still, the merge should bring the desired result.

Which software version are you using?

Can you try to add the two layers in the opposite order? Does is then bring only the other layer's data?

Some screenshots from the tool's settings would be helpful!

bee
by
New Contributor III

The fields are pretty much the same. 

I did try to add the two layers in the opposite order and it always brings only the other layer's data. Below is the screenshot of the merge tool I used. 

bee_0-1624555225045.png

I had to geocode one set with full addresses and the other set with coordinates and that's why I had two layers. 

0 Kudos
bee
by
New Contributor III

Here is more info. Thanks, everyone, for helping!

ArGIS Pro 2.8.1

bee_1-1624558206851.png

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the second dataset?

What is the full path to the output data set?

... sort of retired...
bee
by
New Contributor III

C:\Users\byuen\OneDrive - East Bay Company\Documents\ArcGIS\Projects\MyProject5-2000_Trail_Permits - Copy\MyProject5-2000_Trail_Permits.gdb\TrailPermitCAFullAdrsGeo_Geo14

bee_0-1624565910782.png

0 Kudos
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

You could also try performing the GP tool on a local location instead of on One Drive.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you are asking for problems with those paths.  They contain spaces, and punctuation (excluding _ , which is ok).

They also don't all look like featureclasses.  If you have event layers or other data types, make them featureclasses.  That is what merge works with.

Merge (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
bee
by
New Contributor III

Thanks! Here are my rookie questions:

1. Do I have to move these files to get a "cleaner" path?

2.Do you mean that I should convert the layers to feature class, and then merge the two? If so, how do I go about it? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos