Not able to merge the layers of point data. Only one layer shows up after merging.

Jump to solution
06-23-2021 04:41 PM
bee
by
New Contributor III

I'm new to this. I am trying to merge two layers of points to one. I went to Analysis > Tools > General > Merge. I entered the two datasets and hit "run." It generated a "merged" later in the content. However, upon checking, I can only see one dataset. I checked by selecting Appearance > Symbology > Unique Value and see that only the values for one set were included in the layer. I'm clueless as to what's wrong because I've done merge in the other project and didn't have the same issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Create a file geodatabase in a simple folder path (eg c:\data )

Create a file geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Use Copy Features (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation to copy those to the gdb.

You still haven't answered the question as to whether the data are featureclasses to begin with?

right-click on the layer and check out the source and properties

... sort of retired...
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @bee , 

You can use the GP conversion tool to convert your files to the Feature classes. The second one looks like a table - so it would be useful to convert this, and having them the same type should help. 

Feature Class To Feature Class (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Create points from a table—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

also, what are the Geolocation types of the files, 

One looks like address geolocation and the other one? Is that addresses or is it co-coordinates ?

bee
by
New Contributor III

Hi Keiren - I've confirmed that the layers are feature classes. You are correct that one set is address geolocation and the other is co-coordinates. Is  geolocation type an issue?

0 Kudos
bee
by
New Contributor III

I've confirmed from properties that both layers are feature classes.

bee_0-1624627886228.png

0 Kudos
bee
by
New Contributor III

Turns out I have to shorten the layer names. It works now. Thanks for looking into this for me, everyone! 😊

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you are asking for problems with those paths.  They contain spaces, and punctuation (excluding _ , which is ok).

as suggested earlier...

... sort of retired...
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

don't forget to mark your solution!

Fowlkes_G
New Contributor

Hello,

I am having a similar issue: trying to merge different feature classes from the same feature data sets, except only information from the first file listed is retained in the merged feature class. There are entries for the other merged items, just all information in the merged feature class is <null>. I tried shortening the feature class names, but that did not resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos