Not able to merge the layers of point data. Only one layer shows up after merging.

Jump to solution
06-23-2021 04:41 PM
bee
by
New Contributor III

I'm new to this. I am trying to merge two layers of points to one. I went to Analysis > Tools > General > Merge. I entered the two datasets and hit "run." It generated a "merged" later in the content. However, upon checking, I can only see one dataset. I checked by selecting Appearance > Symbology > Unique Value and see that only the values for one set were included in the layer. I'm clueless as to what's wrong because I've done merge in the other project and didn't have the same issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bee
by
New Contributor III

Turns out I have to shorten the layer names. It works now. Thanks for looking into this for me, everyone! 😊

View solution in original post

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you are asking for problems with those paths.  They contain spaces, and punctuation (excluding _ , which is ok).

as suggested earlier...

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

27 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

don't judge the merge on the symbology.  open the table and see if the number of records in the output table is equal the sum of the two input featureclasses.

If it does, try resymbolizing, since I suspect that the field you used for symbology wasn't present in both tables and you didn't look at the field mapping options

... sort of retired...
bee
by
New Contributor III

Yea, I checked the Attribute Table and it shows the exact number of one of the two layers. I then switched the order of the layers and merged again; and again, I get the exact number of the other layer. 

0 Kudos
bee
by
New Contributor III

The field for the symbology does appear in both sets.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are they both featureclasses in a gdb?

Why don't you take a screen grab of the dialog from arctoolbox showing the inputs and the output featureclass names.

... sort of retired...
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Another thing to be careful of is having features selected. Often tools will only operate on the selected features.

bee
by
New Contributor III

No... I didn't select any features..

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

,Hi @bee , 

If you want to keep the attributes data from both layers, you will need to complete a table join Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Merge (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

to combine 2 files into one output file... with field mapping

... sort of retired...
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is true or you can use the Append tool to merge the two files into one Geodatabase Append (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation