North Arrow Rotation issue

Jump to solution
11-01-2018 01:13 PM
ShannonWhite1
New Contributor III

I have a student who created a map where north would be to the right side of the layout.  ArcPro automatically adjusts the compass rose to point the North in the proper direction but then as it has rotated the W & E are 90 degrees off.  I.e. W is on it's side.  How can this be fixed?  #arcpro 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Here is my interpretation of the issue:

Is that the problem?  You want the W and the E to read correctly?

What about the N and the S?

Or... maybe that isn't the issue.  A screenshot would be great!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Shannon, they didn't do something with the modification section did they?

North arrows—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shannon, 

If North points to the right side of the page I would expect West to point to the top of the page and East to point to the bottom of the page. I'm not quite sure what you mean by W & E being 90 degrees off.

Could you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Thanks, 

Tom

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Here is my interpretation of the issue:

Is that the problem?  You want the W and the E to read correctly?

What about the N and the S?

Or... maybe that isn't the issue.  A screenshot would be great!

ShannonWhite1
New Contributor III

Yes, Kory that was the issue.  Sorry, I was helping the student in person, posted and  then have not received the screenshot.    You are correct.  It doesn't rotate any of the letters only the compass.  The only solution I could provide in the time frame of the work they were doing was apply the compass rose and then cover with graphics of text. 

Shannon

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Shannon, 

North arrows are graphic elements. Only their orientation as a whole adjusts direction. Individual items, such as the letters designating each cardinal direction, cannot adjust independently.  The North Arrow is behaving as expected. Having the cardinal directions also oriented to the top of the page, regardless of map rotation, is an interesting idea.  I would recommend adding this to the https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas site as a possible future enhancement.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Found this post because I have a request to "north orient" (ha) the directional letters. Would be nice if there was a setting... if anything has changed since 2018 @TomBole let me know! Thank you!

BrittanyBurson_0-1663713802294.png

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brittany, 

Unfortunately, there is no new functionality regarding north arrows. Were you able to add a post to the Ideas site?

Tom

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @TomBole thanks for the reply. I just submitted an idea here.