New Toolbox (ATBX) editing and documentation

06-05-2023 01:52 PM
WilliamBuerger
Occasional Contributor

I used the new toolbox (atbx) recently when creating a simple toolbox that links to a separate py file like I used to do with the old (tbx) format.  I only recently realized that atbx is a zipped file with a number of py, json and other files.  It also seems like it might work better the Python Toolbox (pyt) for managing my python tools.  But, I can't find any actual documentation about how to use and format an atbx file to do more advanced coding.  Specifically, I was introduced to the UtilityDataManagementSupport toolbox that has some useful tools.  If you "edit" any of the tools, there's just a stub function that calls the internal tool that does the work.  There are a number of internal py files that have the actual logic for executing the tools.  But the only option I see to work with atbx files in Pro is to add a script and edit the logic for that tool directly.  How do you add additional classes or common code that all scripts might share in the atbx?  Is it just a manual thing of unzipping the atbx file, adding your files and then recompressing?  Seems a bit awkward to manage and test this way.  I'm mostly surprised that there is apparently no documentation about what atbx is and how to work with it.

0 Kudos
0 Replies