Select to view content in your preferred language

New Field Types in 3.2 Make FGDBs and FCs appear locked to earlier versions?

04-11-2024 09:16 AM
valenj88
New Contributor III

Not only does Pro 3.2 make it impossible to publish services to Enterprise 11.1 or earlier due to these new field types, if 3.2 publishes ANY featureclasses to a FGDB it renders that FGDB inaccessible to any other versions of Pro.  Furthermore, any FCs published to SDE are also inaccessible (thankfully it doesn't kill access to the entire database) to any versions below 3.2.  This has killed a ton of our automated scripts and resulted in having to revert to Pro 3.1.  Is there a fix planned to not force the use of new field types that are unavailable to earlier versions of Enterprise/Pro?

5 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

To clarify: Do you mean these FCs are version-locked even if you don't use the new data types?

Because that's going to be make convincing our IT department to finally roll out 3.2 that much more difficult.  And there's quite a bit of functionality in 3.2 that I've been waiting for, but we're still currently stuck on 3.1.3.

At least with things like Attribute Rules that are Pro-specific, you only get version-locked when you finally "pull the trigger" and add your first rule, so we haven't booted our lingering Desktop users, yet.

0 Kudos
valenj88
New Contributor III

We use python scripts to write quite a few intermediate FCs to local FGDBs - it appears as though these FCs default to using the high precision date field when created, and when trying to re-access them using any version below 3.2 they throw a "locked" warning.  There is supposedly an environment that you can set but it doesn't appear to have changed the use of these fields.  There appears to be no effective way to opt out of Pro 3.2 using these incompatible field types (which also makes it impossible to publish any services to Enterprise 11.1 or below).

0 Kudos
RobertCao
Esri Contributor

Hi @valenj88 ,

What you are describing here seems like by design. There is an existing defect against this behavior BUG-000163891https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/when-accessing-a-date-field-in-arcgis-pro-it-automatica-bug-00016...

Thanks,

Rob

RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Are you still running the python scripts in the old 2.7 version?

I find that I need to run the 3.x version that comes with Pro to get access to data created with the newer version, especially if you are using attribute rules.

R_

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not sure if there's a plan/fix for this item but there is a workflow to Change the Data Type of an Existing Field to another field type that you can reference here.  Might help.

0 Kudos