Need to randomize multi-stacked points

Jump to solution
09-29-2021 07:07 AM
Hannah_Hutchins
New Contributor

I have a very large point dataset (~35,000 points) that was created through geocoding. Roughly 40% of these points are multi-stacked. I'm looking for a way to separate these points from each other within a 10 foot radius. 

Is there an automated way or a code I can use to randomize/distribute these existing points within a 10 ft buffer? I'm not looking to use the Create Random Points tool as my data is already created.

I'm working in ArcGIS Pro 10.7.1.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

35 K dispersed within 10 ft is probably going to look like a smudge, anyway, have you seen 

Disperse Markers (Cartography)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor

The Dispersed Markers tool won't work for what I need but if it worked for Hannah, then I guess she can mark it as accepted.  I have FME, I might see if it has a tool for doing what I need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

35 K dispersed within 10 ft is probably going to look like a smudge, anyway, have you seen 

Disperse Markers (Cartography)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor

I am looking to do the same thing as Hannah.  I need to move the actual points that are stacked on top of each other (not the symbols).  I found the CountOverlappingFeatures tool in Pro that lets me identify how many points are stacked on top of each other at a specific locations (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/count-overlapping-features.htm#:~:t...).  It gives me a point layer showing where the overlaps are.  This is helpful but I still need a tool or method to move those points by a few feet so they aren't stacked/overlapping.   I would really like to do this within a 10 ft radius like Hannah talked about above.   Thanks!

0 Kudos
Hannah_Hutchins
New Contributor

After many days of digging, the only solution was the Disperse Markers tool which seemed to work for me. But if anyone else has insight, I would love to hear about it!

0 Kudos
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the tip Hannah, I will try that.  I've been searching GeoNet and just the internet in general but haven't found anything.  All I see is information about moving the symbols, not the points themselves.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps if Dispersed Markers was the correct answer, you could mark as Accepted the referencing thread so it can be closed

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor

The Dispersed Markers tool won't work for what I need but if it worked for Hannah, then I guess she can mark it as accepted.  I have FME, I might see if it has a tool for doing what I need.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps you need Dynamic Feature Clustering instead

What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.9—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

It may solve your problems if aggregation is ok

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the idea but I need to move the actual points not the symbols.  I have a bunch of points that are locations of street signs.  Many of these are stacked on top of each other, in some places, there are as many as 5 on top of each other.  I would love a tooth or script that would allow me to make small circle polygons around those locations and then have a tool that would randomly scatter the points within those circles.  Then I wouldn't have any more overlapping points.  If I can't find a way to do this, I'll have to move them manually which will take a while...  

0 Kudos