Need to create an outline of a parcel layer with streets

01-22-2021 06:59 PM
Labels (3)
khoffm04
New Contributor

I was given a layer from my professor that contained a bunch of parcels from the area around campus. The instructions say that we only need the outline of the layer. The issue is that the parcels do not include the streets so there is a whole bunch of extra lines that a not necessary for the project, or at least I think so. How do I get rid of the streets and keep the boundary of the whole layer? I have tried various layers but the roads still exist. 

khoffm04_0-1611370664193.png

khoffm04_1-1611370720299.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

what is the other layers for (outline and parcel outline)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
khoffm04
New Contributor

I think the end goal is to determine the uncertainty in the data dealing with petroleum production. To be perfectly honest this is my first time working with petroleum data so I have no idea what I need to do. The professor provided an example that showed an outline without any of the streets, however, there are other layers involved such as county layers so it could be that. I will probably try both ways to see if one works. There is also the possibility I am overthinking the problem. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

It looks like land parcels, including buildings.  I can't see any street data other than what looks like roads formed from the edges of the parcels.  How is this petroleum data?  Can you symbolise by attribute on the data to possibly exclude the features you mean?

Mostly I don't understand what you're asking, you say the parcels do not contain the streets, then that you need to get rid of the streets.

0 Kudos