nDoes ArcGIS Pro support Raster Catalogs in the Add Data tool? (Doesn't seem to for me...)

10-21-2014 02:02 PM
AndyWells
Occasional Contributor II

When I go to add data in ArcGIS Pro, and I navigate to a file geodatabase that contains a raster catalog (managed or unmanaged), the raster catalog is missing and I can't select them to load. Mosaic raster datasets do show up.

This would lead me to believe that raster catalogs are not supported in ArcGIS Pro. However, I can import an .mxd file from ArcMap that has a raster catalog in it, and the raster catalog will come into ArcGIS Pro and function as it should.

How do I add raster catalogs to my project without having to import them from an .mxd file?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

Andy,

First of all, to me, ArcGIS Pro 1.0 (Prerelease) doesn't support all raster models from desktop ArcGIS 10.x, including raster catalog. I guess, supporting raster catalog is not a part of design /workscope for ArcGIS Pro...

Secondly, it looks that the Pro 1.0 does support Mosaic Dataset model and a new data model called 'Raster Products', which is not in desktop ArcGIS 10.x, in addition to image services...

0 Kudos
AndyWells
Occasional Contributor II

The thing is, that raster catalogs do work in ArcGIS Pro when you import an ArcMap .mxd file. You just can't browse to them in the Add Data dialog boxes. So if you want to use them, at least for me, you have to set up an .mxd file with that raster catalog added, then import that into ArcGIS Pro.

If they were planning on not supporting raster catalogs, seems to me, they would not work at all. To me, its another reason not to want to make the jump to Pro, if you have a lot of your rasters in catalogs like I do.

On the other hand, I've been reading about mosaics, and it seems like there really isn't a good reason for me not to try to use them instead, so that's what I am going to work towards.

0 Kudos
larryzhang

Understandable ...

I guess, you have lots of time to keep using raster catalog within desktop ArcGIS...

As recalled, however, raster catalog as a raster model started from 8.x and enhanced in 10.x. So far, mosaic dataset looks much better now, in particular, from raster management perspective...

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Raster catalogs are much more straightforward for simple image collections (all same cell size, coordinate system, bit depth). They still have their place.

larryzhang

It is a list for Pro to support raster as a raster dataset, a raster product, or a raster type:

List of supported sensors—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals

0 Kudos
RonnieRichards

Yes I am surprised they work thru mxd import but not Layer files or add Data? I agree with above if they are going away why supported them at all with mxd import?

Raster Catalogs do have a place how else do you do a time-series enabled raster publication?