Mulitple Instances of ArcGIS Pro on Multiple Machines

08-23-2017 11:33 AM
tempJRiggsbee
New Contributor III

I was working over the weekend to get a CPU intensive raster analysis done, when I calculated the average time for the processes iterations, it was going to exceed my deadline. So I split the dataset and ran it on a secondary machine through ArcGIS Pro (having two instances of AGP on two machines). I attempt to do a similar workflow this week, after the 2.0.1 patch is released, and now I can only run AGP on one machine at a time. This is extremely disappointing, as I often leave processes running overnight at work, and take a laptop home to do additional work or training in AGP. I understand the limitations of leaving the licensing open to an unlimited instances across unlimited machines, but there should be the ability to use multiple instances across two or three machines.arcgispro1012

11 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So you were able to run multiple instances of ArcGIS Pro with version 2.0, but the patch 2.0.1 now does not allow you to run multiple instances of ArcGIS Pro?  If that is the case, that seems like a step backwards with the software update.

0 Kudos
tempJRiggsbee
New Contributor III

I have actually been able to run AGP with one license on two machines since 1.4, but 2.0 opened the capability of running multiple instances on multiple machines. I hope this functionality will return, but I doubt it.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you run multiple instances of AGP on 1 machine with the patch of 2.0.1?  That is the functionality that I am looking for.

0 Kudos
tempJRiggsbee
New Contributor III

Yes. I was running four instances earlier today.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I always interpreted the 'multiple instances' as being able to run Pro with separate instances on the same machine... interesting that you could run it on separate machines using the same license.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro license types—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcGIS Pro license types

Three license types are available with ArcGIS Pro: Named User, Concurrent Use, and Single Use. Named User licenses are the default type and are used in most cases.

With a Named User license, an ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS member can sign in to ArcGIS Pro and use the application on any machine on which it is installed. The application runs with the license level and extensions specified by the ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS administrator. A member with a Named User license can run ArcGIS Pro on up to three machines simultaneously.

With a Named User license, you are entitled to run ArcGIS Pro on "up to three machines simultaneously," unless the license has been checked out for offline use and then it is one machine.

I would contact Esri Support because the patch should not have changed the licensing of the software, at least as far as I have seen.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

cool... so several named user licenses (for various persona)... 4 machines, one offline, 3 online ... times the number of instances your memory will allow  ... testing time

0 Kudos
tempJRiggsbee
New Contributor III

Let us know what happens with offline and simultaneous use. Every time I have set AGP to offline on one machine it stops functionality on the other installations. However, it is much more efficient system than checking out licenses for ArcMap.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I tried to say earlier about offline Named User licenses is that you can only use Pro on a single machine (not three) when the license is offline:  Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Can I run ArcGIS Pro on more than one machine?

The answer depends on the licensing model you're using:

• When connected to ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS with a Named User account, you can log in on up to three machines at the same time. If you're disconnected and have your license set to work offline, you can work with the one machine that has been taken offline.
0 Kudos