Mosaic dataset tools not working properly in ArcGIS pro?

07-26-2016 01:02 PM
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Mosaic dataset tools not working properly in ArcGIS pro? having trouble with Add rasters, build overviews etc. data corruption, slowness are some symtoms

Have also seen Pro freeze up and corrupt the mosaic dataset.

Anybody else seeing these kind of issues?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In this link, did you run the check your system's ability to run Pro? ArcGIS Pro 1.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

and how do your specs stack up to the minimum requirements?

Are you working on a network? using some laptop? are your data stored locally on your computer or elsewhere?

What operating system? was your computer revitalized before installing? or did you not do a system cleanup?

Any of these could affect performance, so any more details you have would help.

0 Kudos
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Windows 7 with 24GB of RAM on a standard GIS workstation setup. ArcMap 10.3.1 runs fine. Data is stored on the standard network locations - nothing unusual. ArcMap, ArcGIS Server all are fine with the current setup. ArcGIS Pro is the only problem app. I keep a pretty clean machine as far system crud is concerned.

Antivirus is my only suspect but I have no control over turning that off. So that is why I was asking if others are facing similar issues. It appears mosaic dataset related tools appear to be singularly affected for me as related to ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks

Subu

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I can't put my hand on it right now, but I think antivirus was affecting arcgis online... ergo, arcgis Pro, if you are not running a local installation of pro, but one that requires links to agol.  check your license typeDownload and install—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

I do use a named user model. We are just testing Pro for basic tasks. Concurrent licensing for Pro has not been implemented in our org yet.

Is there a specific way to verify this antivirus interference? Just turning it off is not an option. There has to be way to prove the case and recommend specific changes to convince security teams to make a change in configuration.

0 Kudos
JamieDrisdelle
New Contributor III

Hi Subu Swaminathan

Can you send us a little bit more information on the problem that you are running into?  We would like to try to get a repro case and fix this issue if possible.   What kind of imagery are you adding to your mosaic dataset? How many images are you loading?  Are you building overviews? Are you using a product definition when creating your MD? 

0 Kudos
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Jamie - we are using standard orthorectified imagery. Tiff files in a network folder. No product definition. Usually define and build overviews separately after creating mosaic dataset and adding rasters

Subu.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Just to add to this, I am using Pro 1.3 and ArcMap 10.4.1. 10.4.1 the workflow I am doing with mosaics works (though only when processing extent and raster mask environments are nulled), but in Pro the Add Rasters tool is stuck on a loop during the stage at which you are just selecting which datasets to pull in. The computer I am running handles decent scenes in CityEngine (2 G Nvidia, 16 GB ram, decent processor), so it is likely not the issue. OS is Microsoft 10. Just having similar performance issues. I will explore the steps to resolve below. 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
JamieDrisdelle
New Contributor III

Hi David, 

Thanks for letting us know about this.  We will investigate and get back to you.  Are all the rasters that you are using local or are some of them on a network.  I can only see half of your list in the screenshot. 

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Only local, though I got the tool to work if I added them a few at a time (which was painful). It starts at tool initialization, not even run time (the second the workspaces are defined). It's like one of the script initialization parameters consumes a lot of time or something. They are 32 bit kernel densities from different time periods. 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos