Models taking heaps longer to run when scheduled

04-20-2022 03:09 AM
Scott_Sambell
Occasional Contributor

Does any one know why models in Pro can run fine when you manually run them in ModelBuilder but then when you schedule them the can take hundreds of times longer to run?

Since scheduled models first came out in Pro 2.5 we have used them daily across all our projects.  This happens regularly and i have no explanation for it.  Sometime they will go for months running every few minutes on the scheduler with no problem and then one day they will take 2 hours to run.  We have 4 models that did it yesterday.  When i run them manually they take between 2 to 8 minutes.  One is now taking 4 hours in the schedule, another one has been running for 3 hours and i have no idea how far through it is.

Is there cache on my computer somewhere i can clear?  Rebooting it doesn't help.

Thanks!

Scott
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I would speculate it making duplicates in your database.  I think we used to refer to them as Phantom rows.

We were having this problem big time when I had  model set up to manipulate thousands of photo attachments and export them to a enterprise drive.

The fix was to set up our SDE databases to compress every night. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Sambell
Occasional Contributor

Hey Robert.  The models i am dealing with at the moment just import a source AGOL feature layer to local FGDB, do a join, truncate the target, then append the joined FGDB layer to the target.  So no phantom rows in there that i can see and no chance to compress anything to make things run faster.  

I let one of them run last night on the scheduler.  It took 3hrs 40 minutes.  I just ran it manually in ModelBuilder. It took 2min 20 seconds!

It must be something very obvious to do with the machine i'm running it on but i have no idea what i need to clear or what is clogging it up.

Scott
0 Kudos
Scott_Sambell
Occasional Contributor

I've discovered the solution for this if anyone is interested. 

I just buy a new computer every few weeks. 

I have literally tried everything else. 

At least a i get a few weeks of scheduled models working perfectly  before the bug sets in, rendering all our processes completely useless.  Not exactly an environmentally sustainable practice but scheduled models are so integral to our business that its the only financially viable option for now.

If anyone has a slightly less insane solution i am all ears.

And if anyone is in the market for a regular supply of near-new 16GB i7 machines then let me know (disclaimer: they cannot now, or possibly any time in the future, run scheduled models on ArcGIS Pro) 

Scott
0 Kudos