ModelBuilder resets tools to 'ready-to-run' state

12-27-2021 07:27 AM
ChrisD
by
New Contributor III

Hello!

When working with ModelBuilder, tools that I have already run and are in the 'has-been-run' state are very often reset to 'ready-to-run' when I add data to the model or make other changes to the workflow that are not upstream of the change and thus should not have any affect on the reset model elements. It really turns models into a mess because rather than re-running every time a tool resets, I end up adding the data from the previously run tool into the model so I'm not constantly re-running my workflows when this resetting happens. Any help in remedying this would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Chris

Tags (1)
30 Replies
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

actually i would say, „it“ happens each time with any of my models at some point. and i am really surprised that the support department is not aware of the issue up to now - since it started with the very first version of arcgis pro 3.x ! … so i will try to find time to send one of the more simple models that are affected. … since the whole thing is not only annoying but undermines the concept of working with models. 

0 Kudos
ChrisD
by
New Contributor III

Ok, I finally took the time to send in a model after a reset was triggered. If anyone else wants to piggyback on this ticket, you're welcome to share your email address and I can loop you into the thread with ESRI tech support on the ticket. 

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi ChrisD, 
Please can you share the snapshot of your model and if possible indicate which tool in the workflow are you editing that shows the error of running from the previous tool/s? We have two open issues that we are working on related to this for the current upcoming release. We had a fix which was risky and hence did not add it to the version that was just released - 3.1 or backported to any patch. I just want to make sure we have covered all the cases. 

Thanks for reporting and your help in advance!

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi ChridD, I see we already shared it with the analyst. Pls ignore my request above.

0 Kudos
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

hi shitijmehta,

if you'd need more than one. no problem, because every single model is affected by that problem. if required or helpful i would provide a simple demo as well.

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
hi robertkalasek
You are the best!
Yes please do provide us a demo. You can share the steps, a video of all the models you see issue with or we can get on a call. I will have to check how to set that up with our tech support. I totally understand that this can be very frustrating. We want to fix this definitely.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

hi again, 

unfortunately, i was not able to reproduce the problem on top of a new model and thus i can't provide a simple demo. but what i have is a video-sequence that shows the reset. i just added a "caluclate field" object and connectet that object with the output of a simple select that was already calculated. and i don't have any idea why and when that problem emerges. some experiments based on a clone of that configuration of select and calculate field didn't come up with the same behaviour ... sorry, but i can't provide that specific project due to it's size and copyright issues. but i will continue to search for a more simple porject in my archives. 

best robert

0 Kudos
BryanBommersbach1
New Contributor

So is there a resolution to this issue?  I am experience the same problem with a pretty complicated Model Builder I have built.  I am using ArcPro 3.1.2.  What I am seeing is that seemingly random portions of my Model Builder do not remain in the "Run" state after they are run.  Which leads to having to constantly rerun portions of the Model Builder, adding significant re-processing time.  Anyone have any update on this issue?  

ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,
Please could you share your model, a video/snapshot and some details on the version you are currently using?
Thank you!

0 Kudos
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

according to my personal experience there is one aspect of that behaviour that might have changed ... i believe. one of the issues when working with "join" or "join field" (which i prefer) is that rerunning just parts of the model my result in multi-joins of the same field. i frequently use a select just in front of the "join field" to avoid that ... and i have experienced that the rerun of nodes that are subsequent to that select trigger reruns that reach back to that point. this might be implemented intentionally to avoid multi-joins. this does'nt mean that i am happy with that behaviour but it could be intention.
but there still are model resets of model-parts that seem to be triggered randomly ! ! !

0 Kudos