Select to view content in your preferred language

Modelbuilder KML to Layer display output not working

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
Automatethegeostuff
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 3.3

I am trying to build a model that iterates through KMLs in a folder and outputs them to the current map. Very simple but eventually I want to expand it so that it Applies Symbology to all of the polygons in the end with a parameter for a template layer to copy symbology from.

There are probably some other things I’d like to try to automate but I can’t even get past this first step. The KML to layer tool doesn’t output to the map despite having right clicked and checked display to output as well as making it a parameter. 

When I run the KML to layer tool by itself outside of modelbuilder it imports the polygon as a feature layer just fine. But for some reason in modelbuilder it refuses.

Also, for some reason the output group layer is greyed out and says (optional) disabled when I hover over the blue information icon. 

Am I missing something? I’ve tried for days to figure this out but I move on manually so I can get the work done on time. 

Tags (2)
5 Replies
JigishaAshokbhaiPardeshi
New Contributor II

Double check the file you are using as input and the file path, select the parameters accordingly. If you tried to run the tool outside of the ModelBuilder and it runs perfectly then try to drag drop the same from the history to the ModelBuilder. 

0 Kudos
Automatethegeostuff
New Contributor II

This sounds promising, I will try this when I get in and let you know. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Automatethegeostuff
New Contributor II

So this did not solve my problem unfortunately. For some reason the output variables don't change their information based on any input to the tool. The text box is greyed out so I can't even edit it.

Copying the historical tool in did show a valid model but it would not change the old output variable based on new inputs. It stayed the same. It seems like the 'script' for outputting the layers is not dynamically changing based on input parameters.

I tried another tool, 'Iterate field values' and same thing, the output variable won't dynamically change. When I hover over the information icon it says "Value: Any Value (optional) (Disabled)"

Searched all over in the options, properties, environments, etc. and tried 'Add to Display' and making outputs a parameter but it just won't work. 

0 Kudos
JigishaAshokbhaiPardeshi
New Contributor II

This sounds something unusual. Did you add all required inputs to get an output which your are looking for?
Because if you are missing any input feature, the tool itself and the output will be shown greyed out. For example if I am using ModelBuilder for clip tool and I only add one input and the tool it will show me something like this 

JigishaAshokbhaiPardeshi_0-1718372331305.png

Once I add clip feature it should be good to run the tool and get desired output. And it wont be grey any more.

JigishaAshokbhaiPardeshi_1-1718372414987.png

0 Kudos
Automatethegeostuff
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for your help.

It is unusual but yes I am certain I have chosen all the input parameters. The output features will be green but the dialog box for the output variable will be greyed out and won't dynamically update based on input values.

Could you double-click the output features and show me what yours looks like, and hover over the blue information icon? What does that say?

0 Kudos