Model hangs Pro repeatedly

Jump to solution
04-13-2021 07:51 AM
Labels (2)
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

I've had a problem with seemingly all my models in Pro lately. This includes models in separate toolboxes, separate projects. Now when I try to validate or touch the models in any way, the model completely grays out and Pro becomes partially hung: can't save or exit the project, can't do anything further with the model until force-quitting and reopening the project. Some models I was able to fix by re-sourcing the input FCs or layers, even though the the model never indicated that the sources were broken, and the fixed sources are exactly the same as they were previously. I know models sometimes get corrupted and it's easiest/best to simply recreate them, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible!

I've attached one model as an example. I can't do anything with it without it immediately freezing. Even if opened in a brand new project, it behaves the same. I originally designed it to run in ArcCatalog, independent of any existing layers, MXDs, or now Pro projects. I have run it successfully in Pro in the past. I have not included the source data, but the freezing behavior can be seen regardless. If it would help, I can provide the data as well. 

I am using the latest and greatest version of Pro, 2.7.2. I have an older version of this model (essentially identical, save for the requisite newer Pro toolbox file format) that still runs successfully in ArcCatalog.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffThomasILM

I tried bringing my still-working model from ArcMap into Pro again. The sources were broken but that was a simple fix, and I was then able to successfully run the model in Pro. I still don't know why my model broke in Pro, but it's easier to accept this solution and move on! Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jeff - I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2, downloaded and added your model/tbx to a new ArcGIS Pro project.  My ArcGIS Pro is stable/did not crash.  Sounds like something is "up" with your installation.  Try this - rename the ESRI folder in your C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local and C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\roaming to ESRI_OLD and try again.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
JeffThomasILM

Thanks for taking a look, Robert. To be clear, the model doesn't crash/hang/etc. Pro immediately upon import, it's only if you attempt to interact with the model. Select something, delete something, etc. I have tried this on my work and home PC, same result. Also, I incidentally just had my work PC completely wiped and reinstalled from scratch. My Esri profile (sadly) was completely reset. This problem has been happening before and after this reset. But if you're not seeing it... 🤔

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jeff - looking at the model deeper now.  When I edit the move - double click to open a tool whether it's the Append or Select GP Tools, the model hangs.  I've copied/pasted into a new toolbox, same result.  ArcGIS Diagnostic Monitor shows it hanging as well.  Validating the model even causes ArcGIS Pro to hang.  I'd recommend reaching out to Esri Support Services to see if they can resolve this hanging issue.

JeffThomasILM

I tried bringing my still-working model from ArcMap into Pro again. The sources were broken but that was a simple fix, and I was then able to successfully run the model in Pro. I still don't know why my model broke in Pro, but it's easier to accept this solution and move on! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sounds like a reasonable solution.  Not sure why the old model caused ArcGIS Pro to hang but out with the old and in with the new!  Good luck!

0 Kudos
JohnGargiulo
New Contributor III

Having the same issue with a pretty extensive model I built in model builder.  When I go to validate the model it sits for over an hour, I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete and kill Pro to reset.  Almost impossible to diagnose the issue. I really don't want to rebuild from scratch since I don't know what issue is, it could easily happen again.

0 Kudos