Mobile Map Files Not Showing Backgrounds

Jump to solution
04-05-2021 01:03 PM
FrankLaFone
New Contributor

I'm trying to produce a series of mobile maps for a mobile trails app to be used in offline mode.  I've got three layers (trails lines, points of interest, and state park boundaries) and the default Topographic Basemap (I've tested with most of the Basemaps and I get the same issues). 

My process has been to create a new map, add the vector layers to my map and click on the "Download Map" button and check the "Include basemap & tile layers" checkbox.  Once that's done, I then click on the "Share" ribbon and click the "Mobile Map" button.  I choose the radio button that says, "Upload package to Online account" and I make sure I'm logged into the correct online account.  I then put in a name, a description, a tag, and check "Enable anonymous access".  I then hit "analyze" and once that returns successfully, I hit "Package".  When I then go to my Mobile app, I can see the map available for download. The icon shows the basemap.  I download the map, but when I open it, all I can see is the vector layers.

Ok, now here's the weird thing.  If I follow THIS process, everything works ok.  I make a new map and zoom to the area of interest, then click the "Download Map" button.  I then share the map using the above process.  If I open the map in my mobile app, it shows the basemap just fine, but obviously there is no vector information because I haven't added it yet.  If I go back and add the vector information, then hit share again, re-analyze and ask it to overwrite the map, then open my mobile app and load the map, everything works 100% the way it should - both vector and tiles are there, I can interact with the vector layers, zoom around, pan, tiles pyramid, all the works.  

My problem is that I'm trying to do the whole state and knowing where all those state parks are is becoming exceptionally challenging to zoom/pan to the correct location before I add any vector information.  Does anyone have any idea how I can get my basemaps in with vectors on the map?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I suspect this is a projection issue. So when you first load your vector layers, the map is is setting the map projection based on these layers. Then you go ahead and downlaod the tile package in Web Mercator. But when you create your MMPK, the projection of your tile package is different to that of your vector layers. You should always ensure the map projection is the same as your tile package. 

Best is to add your vector data, download your tile package, then change your projection to WGS 1984 Web Mercator (right-click on map name, then Properties, then Coordinate Systems), then package up your MMPK. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I suspect this is a projection issue. So when you first load your vector layers, the map is is setting the map projection based on these layers. Then you go ahead and downlaod the tile package in Web Mercator. But when you create your MMPK, the projection of your tile package is different to that of your vector layers. You should always ensure the map projection is the same as your tile package. 

Best is to add your vector data, download your tile package, then change your projection to WGS 1984 Web Mercator (right-click on map name, then Properties, then Coordinate Systems), then package up your MMPK. 

FrankLaFone
New Contributor

Thank you!  I did try to change the projection, but it wasn't to WGS 1984, but the original projection (UTM17).  When I changed it to WGS 1984, everything seems to work correctly (finally!)  

0 Kudos