Missing Thumbnail in ArcGIS Pro Catalog View?

08-09-2022 05:00 AM
Labels (2)
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm using Pro v2.9.2 and seem to be missing thumbnails for portal items in the catalog view's thumbnail display option. Selecting a tile will show the thumbnail, etc. on the right, but I believe a thumbnail is supposed to be showing on the content tile on the left as well (see below). I've refreshed the view and closed/reopened Pro but nothing changed. Our authoritative content has branded thumbnails and it would be nice to show them here. I don't see this issue listed in v3.0 "Issues Addressed" document, so I'm posting here. I appreciate the help.

GBacon_0-1660046383665.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...this is rather strange as I have thumbnails in the Catalog View and published to the web feature layer.  One thing to try is in a Map View, add the data to the Contents Pane.  Then right-click on the layer in question and go to the Metadata tab.  Scroll on the way down to the bottom and click Generate Thumbnail.  If it's already generated, "maybe" it's corrupted.  So you can click Delete Thumbnail first and then Generate Thumbnail second.  Next, go back to your Catalog View and see if the thumbnail now shows.

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Robert. I tried your suggestions and made no progress. I noticed the options to generate and delete a thumbnail from the metadata properties are greyed out. Maybe that is true for all thumbnails that were uploaded in the portal item details page. Right-click from the table of contents and choosing view metadata doesn't work either.

0 Kudos
AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

I am having this issue too.  I want to generate thumbnails for feature classes' metadata in the Catalog, not just for a particular map.  This was easy to do in ArcMap but I have not yet found out if it is possible in Pro.

Regarding the previous post that mentions "generate thumbnail" is grayed out:

This appears to be the case if, in your map/contents, the layer's metadata is set to "show metadata from data source (read-only)." But if you switch it to "layer has its own metadata," then the "generate thumbnail" button will be useable.  However, I assume this thumbnail will only be for this one layer in this particular map, not for the source layer in the database.  So that doesn't help me personally.  I'll keep researching...

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

I can't remember what version of Pro fixed this but it works now.

GBacon_0-1707338892016.png

0 Kudos