Migrate ArcMap Print Template Mxd to Pro Layout Template pagx File

03-10-2021 04:40 PM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am working on migrating a custom print service on a standalone ArcGIS Server from ArcMap to Pro and have run into a few problems.

1.) Although the documentation says I should be able to overwrite the Pro based print service, I keep getting the error message that the print service name exists and I need to give the print service a new name.  Anyone else encounter this error message?

2.) I want to just import my complete ArcMap templates into Pro to create layouts so I do not have to redo work that is already done.  This process works for some layouts, but other layouts with items such as Overview maps are generating errors when used in a web app.  Has anyone encountered any issues such as this?

3.) Is the best, but most time consuming solution, to create layouts from scratch in Pro instead of using what had previously worked from ArcMap?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@MichaelVolz 

on #1: did you try the overwrite options?

for sharing in a portal,

TanuHoque_0-1615478477200.png

for the standalone server case - I don't see any option to overwrite a gp service in Pro (I need to double check with the relevant team). Having said that we can always take the workaround approach i.e. delete the service in the Manager site and republish. I know it is a pain 😞

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thank for responding Tanu'

I get the error message "Error executing tool. Export Web Map : There is no map frame in the template named 'WEBMAP_MAP_FRAME'"

Does this mean that the main map frame in the Pro layout template used to display services in the web app needs to have the name "WEBMAP_MAP_FRAME' in order for printing to be successful?

Is this true for both standalone server as well as a federated server?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@MichaelVolz 

when you have more than 1 map frames in your layout, print service needs to know which one to update. In ArcMap world, there was a concept of active dataframe. We don't have that in Pro realm, as a result you need to tell print service which map frame to update by naming one map frame "WEBMAP_MAP_FRAME"

please see the first bullet in 'Considerations when preparing your layouts' section in this help below:
https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/create-web-apps/windows/tutorial-publish-additional-l...

Is this true for both standalone server as well as a federated server?

yes, that is true in both case - that issue has nothing to do with how your server is configured.

hope this helps. pls let me know if you have any questions.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

for the standalone server case - I don't see any option to overwrite a gp service in Pro (I need to double check with the relevant team). 

I checked with the team. Unfortunately this is how it is right now. There are no options to overwrite a gp service off a standalone server as of Pro 2.7.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

on #2:

This process works for some layouts, but other layouts with items such as Overview maps are generating errors when used in a web app.

did you try exporting layouts with overview to pdf/png from Pro?

also, set the print service error level to Info and see whether you get any informative error message returned by your print service.

0 Kudos
SineKelly17
Esri Contributor

Hi @MichaelVolz , what process/workflow are you using to import your ArcMap templates into Pro? 

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@SineKelly17 

you can use either Import Map or Import Layout option from the Insert ribbon to import an ArcMap template (.mxd) in Pro and then save that out as a Layout File (.pagx) to be used in a print service published from ArcGIS Pro.

Importing an mxd...

TanuHoque_1-1637796455280.png

Saving a layout as a Layout File (.pagx)

TanuHoque_0-1637796447071.png

hope this helps

0 Kudos