Map service fails to publish in Pro 2.4

Jump to solution
07-11-2019 07:44 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I am really happy that we are now able to publish directly to a local server in Pro.

Things were working great until I  tried to publish and got the following error:

2019-07-10 15:30:44 Status: InProgress StatusMessage: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. 
No Organization http://gis-server:6080/arcgis/admin acgis 2019-07-10 15:30:45 Status: InProgress StatusMessage: No resource could be found at that address. (status code 404).

Not sure what is going on and with that generic error, no idea how to fix it.

The same service published just fine last week.  Publishing a new service as opposed to overwrite resulted in the same error.  I have closed and reopened the project and rebooted both my desktop and my GIS server.  I also tried this with a different map within the same project with the same result.  A setting must have somehow been changed between now and last week but I can't think of what that might have been.  I have included the log from the latest attempt. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I worked with support on this.  We tried what seemed like everything.  What was eventually discovered is that there are two publishing services in the system folder.  One called PublishingTools and one called PublishingToolsEx.  The second one was stopped.  We started it and it worked.  I noticed that there is a similar thing for CachingTools and SyncTools as well.  Can somebody explain what those extra services are and what they do?  I've had no success so far finding out additional information and the Support Tech didn't really seem to know what the extra service was for or why it wasn't automatically started.  In fact, you have to start the service using ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory as opposed to Server Manager.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City

View solution in original post

18 Replies
SusanTran
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh,

Since you were able to publish services from Pro last week and things started failing only recently, it seems like there is an issue with your server. Your sharing job log also says that publishing failed server-side.  Have you checked your server log yet? If not, try publishing again and if it fails, go to Server Manager  and view the server log in debug mode.  Let us know what the server log says if you still need help.

Susan 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Susan

Its still having the same issue.  Here are the errors in my log.  I'm wondering if Thomas' point about secure services may be the issue, I hope not, but it may be.  Not understanding why it worked before but now it doesn't.

SEVEREJul 12, 2019, 1:29:52 PMError executing tool. PublishServiceDefinition Job ID: j4577721430c44ce4a51dfeb3827c5306 : ERROR 999999: Error executing function. No resource could be found at that address. (status code 404). Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).System/PublishingTools.GPServer
SEVEREJul 12, 2019, 1:29:52 PMNo resource could be found at that address. (status code 404).System/PublishingTools.GPServer
SEVEREJul 12, 2019, 1:29:52 PMJob submitting to delegate failed.System/PublishingTools.GPServer
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Were you able to resolve any issues with your server? That's where the problem is.....

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Nope, no movement same issue.  You say my problem is the server, but what exactly is the problem?  I never had this issue before publishing these map services, why is it suddenly an issue?

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Windows update, IT messing with Firewalls. That 404 error is a Web Server issue. How is your ArcGIS Server App Pool authenticating?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I honestly don't know the answer to your question.  I will reach out to my IT Manager.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not 100% convinced this is the case, but a number of folks are posting sharing to server problems on GN lately, and the one common thread is that they're not publishing to servers secured with HTTPS, which is what you are also attempting to do (http://gis-server:6080/arcgis/admin). Doesn't matter if your server is internal, that's still a major security hole (trust me the hackers are already in, they're just waiting for your org/city to accumulate enough bitcoin for them to extort). 

The No resource could be found at that address. (status code 404) means either the service isn't started, or your web adapter is bonkers. The problem most likely is on your web server. 

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I worked with support on this.  We tried what seemed like everything.  What was eventually discovered is that there are two publishing services in the system folder.  One called PublishingTools and one called PublishingToolsEx.  The second one was stopped.  We started it and it worked.  I noticed that there is a similar thing for CachingTools and SyncTools as well.  Can somebody explain what those extra services are and what they do?  I've had no success so far finding out additional information and the Support Tech didn't really seem to know what the extra service was for or why it wasn't automatically started.  In fact, you have to start the service using ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory as opposed to Server Manager.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

My 2 cents on that is.....you got a corrupt install. Speaking from experience, you and TS will pull lots of hair out trying to figure out how, and fix it, when you will spend far less time (15 minutes) reinstalling ArcGIS Server and republishing your services (2-5 minutes per service....less if you do it with python.....if you follow the best practice of keeping the MXD's/APRX's that drive your services in a safe place).