Map service fails to publish in Pro 2.4

Jump to solution
07-11-2019 07:44 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I am really happy that we are now able to publish directly to a local server in Pro.

Things were working great until I  tried to publish and got the following error:

2019-07-10 15:30:44 Status: InProgress StatusMessage: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. 
No Organization http://gis-server:6080/arcgis/admin acgis 2019-07-10 15:30:45 Status: InProgress StatusMessage: No resource could be found at that address. (status code 404).

Not sure what is going on and with that generic error, no idea how to fix it.

The same service published just fine last week.  Publishing a new service as opposed to overwrite resulted in the same error.  I have closed and reopened the project and rebooted both my desktop and my GIS server.  I also tried this with a different map within the same project with the same result.  A setting must have somehow been changed between now and last week but I can't think of what that might have been.  I have included the log from the latest attempt. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
18 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Josh:

Do you even see the PublishingToolsEx service in AGS Manager?  I only see this service in the Admin page and it was started by default in my AGS setup, so I'm not sure why this service would have been off for you.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Only visible on the Admin page.  I wouldn't even have known about it if Support hadn't directed me to do it.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
ConradSchaefer__DOIT_
New Contributor III

We too were receiving the "No Organization" issue when attempting to publish a service using ArcPro. I checked the System services referenced in Josh's solution and a couple of others. They were all started. I decided to restart both publishing services (PublishingTools & PublishingToolsEx) to see if that helped anything. I was able to publish successfully after that. It seems like the stop/start of the running services seems to have fixed the issue.

(As a full disclosure side note, the CachingTools and CachingToolsEx services had a minimum setting of 0 instances. I upped the minimum to 1 just in case a latency issue could have been at play.)

JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

@ThomasEdghill can you look to document what the difference is between the two services, or point us all to the documentation that clarifies?  Thanks!

ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @JTessier, thanks for notifying me about this thread. This question was also asked via a bug logged to Technical Support (BUG-000102522: PublishingToolsEx and CachingToolsEx are created in ..) and the response from the product team may be insightful here:

PublishingToolsEx and CachingToolsEx are internal System services that are required by ArcGIS Server. They will show up under the System folder in the administrative API, but are hidden in Manager. This is not meant for users to update, and hence will not be documented at this point.

On the topic of PublishingToolsEx, this was also briefly touched upon in a Knowledge Article written by Technical Support (Problem: Publishing a feature service to ArcGIS Server fails after ArcGIS Server is upgraded):

In some cases, upgrading ArcGIS Server to 10.5 and above causes some geoprocessing server services to change or go missing. This is because prior versions use the same service with a different name. For example, the PublishingTools system service is referred to as PublishingToolsEx in 10.5 and above.

I realize that this information is coming very late after @JoshWhite first asked about this, but I hope this information can still be helpful if these services come up in any further investigations. 

Thomas_Puthusserry
New Contributor III

hi @JoshWhite Please could you give some help? I have a similar issue: CachingToolsEx is not listed under system folder. We are in 10.9. However it is listed in another deployment we have (same version 10.09)

You mentioned that: In fact, you have to start the service using ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory as opposed to Server Manager. Can you expand on this?

Thanks Thomas

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Well, that was about 4 1/2 years ago and I have totally changed my process to AGOL and Hosted Feature Services.  If I remember correctly you have to log in as an admin to the ArcGIS Server Administrator.  Server Manager wont let you see these two services.  I'd encourage you to contact Support if you are currently struggling with ArcGIS for Server or whatever they are calling it these days.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Thomas_Puthusserry
New Contributor III

Thanks @JoshWhite it seems that under version 10.9, the CachingToolsEx is listed under server/admin/services/System and will only listed under server/rest/services/System once that is started. Status can be viewed and can be started using the options:

Thomas_Puthusserry_0-1707128973088.png

0 Kudos
JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @ThomasEdghill , we upgraded to 11.1 and no longer see the PulishingToolsEx service at all from any endpoint.  Want to make sure this is right, and we did not have an issue with the upgrade.  Can you confirm publishingtoolsEX (And all Ex services) are no longer in either mananger or rest admin.  We are assuming this is the case since your previous statement kind of alluded to that might be the direction in the future.

0 Kudos