Map Series without Map

02-15-2021 12:51 AM
FynnScharpen
Occasional Contributor

Good morning, 

I have a question regarding layouts in ArcGIS Pro.

I created a layout using map series which works perfect. But I need another layout page including just texts and some information (no map!) from my attribute table. Is there an option to refer to the other page using its map frame to keep it a map series?

To explain it again:

The goal is to achieve a map series!

1. Page: Introduction and some info from the attribute table ("A map frame containing valid layers must be added to your layout before table text is inserted.")

2. Page: map, and detailed info. (already created it)

If you have any suggestions pls let me know 🙂

Greetings from Germany, Fynn

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

is there any requirement that the layers be visible?

of if so within the visible extent?

never made a map series but is sounds like a solution... or they need to clarify the rules more 😉

Then there is Reports in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
FynnScharpen
Occasional Contributor

Hey Dan, 

thanks for your reply! The idea was good but it's not working for my problem.

For my dataset, I basically need 100+ layouts each showing one map section including a text with its attribute information.

A map series is based on the map frame used in the layout. So I could do a report having a map frame on the same layout page. But I wanna have 2 layout pages (1 showing the map frame, 1 including the report information which have to automatically update based on the map frame changes of the map series). 

I hope you understand. My technical vocabulary lacks.

Anyway if you have any further suggestions I would be grateful!

Greetings from Germany, Fynn 🙂

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

HI Fynn, 

You can use ArcPy.mp to create a map book (multi-page PDF) using the map series you've created and other "non-map" pages.  A good example can be found here - MapBooksInPro_Pro1.0_v1. There are other examples listed here - Python Map Automation Samples. If you're new to ArcPy.mp please refer to Tutorial: Getting started with arcpy.mp.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
FynnScharpen
Occasional Contributor

Hey Tom, thanks for your reply! You solved another problem you didn't know of. But my "non map" pages are not only texts they should be map series without a map so since I wanna produce 100+ they should automatically update based on content. 

Is there a way to have a 2nd layout page in my map series? So basically one normal map series + 2nd page for each which just has a text including attribute table information referring to polygons, lines and points from page 1? 

Thanks for your help and sorry for my language barrier regarding technical vocabulary.

Greetings from Germany, Fynn 🙂

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Fynn,

You cannot associate a different layout page to a specific map series page of a different layout. You might be able to do this using python, but I cannot confirm this.

You can "fake" this by creating a copy of the layout/map series. One copy that shows the map, & one that covers the map (ex: with a rectangle graphic that is the same color as the page. This way the dynamic elements (text, table frame, legend) are still tied to a map extent driven by the index layer features. You will probably need 2 versions of the index layer, each with field to extract the page number. The "map" index layer may be all even numbers while the "text" index layer has all odd numbers.  You'll have to figure out what you want the page numbers to be.  Once you've exported both map series to PDFs you can use python to create a single PDF product as illustrated, I believe, in the sample - MapBooksInPro_Pro1.0_v1

Tom

0 Kudos