Map Series - Can It Show Only The Feature Being Referenced By The Index vs All That Are In The Map Extent?

Jump to solution
02-16-2022 09:31 AM
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have a created all the required parts including a layout to support building a map series. Currently when I run Map Series > Spatial I get a series and while each page is the correct extent based on the indexed feature, I see the feature I want but also all the other features in that layer within the extent. I'd like to only see the single feature based on the attribute used in the Layout Properties form (ie one feature ID per series page.

Layout Properties > Map Series

Layer: Index Layer

Name Field: Road_ID

Sort Field: Road_ID

Sort Ascending

Group By: None

In the 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah, that's why. You can't clip a map to a linear feature. You'll need to use a page query in this instance. 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

There are a couple of ways to do this! You can clip the map series to the index feature or use a page query on the index layer.

Learn more about clipping here (you may have to scroll to the clip heading): https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/create-a-map-series.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_261CD8CE...

Learn more about page queries here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/page-queries.htm

Cheers,
Aubri
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I noticed that when in Map Series I have the Best Fit, Center and Maintain and Use Scale from Fields but I never get access to the Clip to Index Feature checkbox.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!

GR

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Odd, the checkbox should be there below the radio buttons. What version of Pro are you using? Maybe it's an older version before this feature was added?

AubriKinghorn_0-1645037591875.png

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

NoCheckBox.jpg

I check box is grayed out and unavailable. Hmm.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Is your index feature a point layer? 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

No.  They are lines.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah, that's why. You can't clip a map to a linear feature. You'll need to use a page query in this instance. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

I'll give that a go. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Yep That did it. One last thought that will likely lead to a new thread. I have text in my layout as well. At the moment that gets updated as did the map BEFORE applying a page query. So one text field on the layout has all the values of the rows in the it references. Is there a Page Query-like equivalent for the standalone tables that populate text fields? 

0 Kudos