Select to view content in your preferred language

Map ribbons are frozen after opening a Pro project

05-01-2024 02:49 PM
ColeSutton
New Contributor III

After I open an ArcGIS Pro project, the ribbons at the top are basically frozen. They are not greyed out, but I cannot switch ribbons or select any of the visible tools. Basically, everything in the yellow circled area below is unclickable.

However, I can click tools in the quick access toolbar, and I can open the Sign-in Status dropdown. And by messing around I've discovered a workaround: if I open Sign-in Status dropdown and click Manage Portals, then back out of the Portals menu, at that point the ribbons become unfrozen and I can use everything normally.

ColeSutton_0-1714599788876.png

Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't found any existing discussions about the issue. I already tried reinstalling Pro to see if it was a glitch unique to my install. The issue persists after reinstalling.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColeSutton
New Contributor III

FWIW, I also notice that the quick access toolbar only shows the default tools at first. Only after using my workaround, where I click Manage Portals then back out of the Portals menu, does the quick access toolbar display the additional tools I've added.

0 Kudos
FosterFisher
New Contributor

I have the same problem with the ribbon bar freezing. I assume it has to do with using the quick access bar which I use mostly as it is similar to ArcMap. Your solution to unfreezing the ribbon bar worked for me but this yet another headache in ArcPro vs ArcMap. I used ArcMap for 15 years doing line and polygon editing for the forest service and now ArcPro has made that work untenable. Lucky for me I retire this year and will be done with ESRI products!

0 Kudos
ColeSutton
New Contributor III

Interestingly, another issue I'm having might be connected. I only experience this frozen ribbon and quick access toolbar issue after pro is opened from clicking an aprx in the file explorer, from the "Recent Projects" list, or from "Open another project" near recent projects. I notice if I open a blank instance of pro (from the start menu or task bar icon, which I've become accustomed to doing given the issue described in the post linked below) then Start without a template, the ribbons and quick access toolbar behave normally.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/cannot-open-aprx-from-file-explorer/m-p/1503984#M...

0 Kudos
Homer
by
New Contributor II

Any updates? My co-worker has the same problem as you. It just happened recently, she is on Windows 11 and I'm on Windows 10 with no issues.

0 Kudos
ColeSutton
New Contributor III

Nothing yet, @Homer. I'm also on Windows 11

0 Kudos