Select to view content in your preferred language

Make placement "at measured units" for marker symbol placement

Jump to solution
07-12-2022 02:05 PM
NateFuller
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to add marker symbols to a line. I added the marker layer and when I set the placement to any other option besides "at measured units", it works and I can see the markers on the line. However, when I set the placement to "at measured units" (what I want), it suddenly is no longer visible regardless of the interval I use. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Nate,

That will only work with routes that are "m enabled".  To start, you should check if your poly line feature class is m enabled by going to the properties > Source > Domain, Resolution, Tolerance.  If it lists an m resolution, you are good.  

JustinJohnston_0-1657672119194.png

Next you need to make the polyline feature class into a route using the "Create Routes" Analysis tool.  

JustinJohnston_1-1657672253556.png

Once you have created the route feature class, you can then go to the route's symbology, click the three lines in the top right and select "Allow symbol property connections".  

JustinJohnston_2-1657672323767.png

Once you do that, you will be able to select "at measured units" for your marker layer.  

I do this for stationing lines.  I have some additional information if you are also trying to get stationing.  See this thread: Solved: Stationing lines in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

Cheers,

Justin Johnston

Big Pine Consultants LLC

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JustinJohnston

Hi Nate,

That will only work with routes that are "m enabled".  To start, you should check if your poly line feature class is m enabled by going to the properties > Source > Domain, Resolution, Tolerance.  If it lists an m resolution, you are good.  

JustinJohnston_0-1657672119194.png

Next you need to make the polyline feature class into a route using the "Create Routes" Analysis tool.  

JustinJohnston_1-1657672253556.png

Once you have created the route feature class, you can then go to the route's symbology, click the three lines in the top right and select "Allow symbol property connections".  

JustinJohnston_2-1657672323767.png

Once you do that, you will be able to select "at measured units" for your marker layer.  

I do this for stationing lines.  I have some additional information if you are also trying to get stationing.  See this thread: Solved: Stationing lines in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

Cheers,

Justin Johnston

Big Pine Consultants LLC

NateFuller
New Contributor II

This is perfect, thank you. I had enabled the m values but didn't realize I needed to create a route feature class. 

0 Kudos
JustinJohnston

As a follow up, if your polyline feature class is not m-enabled, you will need to create a new polyline feature class and select to make it m-enabled.  Then you will need to create a copy of the current polyline.  I usually use the trace tool for that.  Once you then have the m-enabled polyine, you can then use the "Create Routes" tool.

Cheers,

Justin Johnston

Big Pine Consultants LLC