Looking for Way to map/model Sound Propagation in GIS

10-06-2021 09:22 AM
DavidHarper
New Contributor

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2 and what I'm looking for is a way to map sound propagation. My project is to map areas where canon fire could be heard during a Civil War battle. I have a specific battlefield area, atmospheric conditions and idea of topography and terrain. What I am wanting to learn is where canon fire could be heard, distances direction etc. Then to map and discuss as part of a thesis.

Tags (1)
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That sounds like a really interesting project! I would look at regional / state GIS to see if there is any elevation information you can use to get a decent surface, at least as a start.

I'm out of my depth here, but 3D sound modeling seems super specialized. Not to say that nobody's done it w/ ArcGIS Pro, but I'm not aware of a built-in tool for it. There seem to be other softwares out there that specialize in this, such as I-Simpa. Perhaps Pro could be an intermediate step for preparing your data for import into another program?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DavidHarper
New Contributor

Mr. Carlson,

Have you ever heard of a GIS modeling tool-set called SPreAD-GIS. It was being used in 2017 but have not been able to find anything recent.

Thanks, David H.

0 Kudos