locked legend items

02-10-2020 02:55 PM
DanAllison
New Contributor III

I have a ArcGIS Pro 2.5 map in which legend items (group layer name, layer name, etc.) are locked. They are checked but grayed out. See attached snips.

I have tried deleting the legend and creating a new one. I have tried creating a new layout. I have tried removing layers and re-importing them from the database. I have re-started the application. None of these has solved the issue.

Tags (2)
44 Replies
KateBerg2
New Contributor III

Thank you for this detailed response, Tom. I also have this problem but am not able to do your fix: The first layer in the group is not in the legend. The second layer in the group is in the legend, but doesn't have Group Layer Name checked... and same with the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh layer in the group. However, I am experiencing the issue with the last layer in the group where Group Layer Name is checked but grayed out.

0 Kudos
ClintMash
New Contributor

Just to add to this excellent writeup, you have to have the "top most item" checked, in order to uncheck the group layer names and it have an effect. If the top most item is not actually displayed, then unchecking the group layer name box simply does nothing. Minor additional bug, lol. V2.5.2 here. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Tom... I really should make layouts more

0 Kudos
GISOfficer
Occasional Contributor

Seems I'm having a similar issue.  I can't post a screenshot for reasons of protocol for the map I'm working on, but essentially at 2.5 the 'Show' tick boxes on the legend properties are greyed out commonly for group layer name, headings and descriptions pretty much whether it be for all layers or individual layers - all boxes I normally clear to reduce the size and busyness of my legends.  This is a significant bug for mapping but it does seem it's already known and I've also raised it with my local technical support Eagle NZ.  Hopefully there'll be a patch soon enough .

Edit - I've also been able to work around by removing all items from the legend, setting the tick boxes then re-adding layers.  However since the default legend creation behaviour is to add all items, then requiring that users remove items they don't need, this function needs to be available with items already in the legend.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi GIS Officer, 

Glad you found a workaround.  You can still toggle the visibility of the Group Layer name for existing items. If you select ONLY the top-most item in the group you can still do this with ArcGIS Pro 2.5. It is when you select multiple legend items, or select a legend item that is not the top-most legend item in the group that you run into BUG-000128688.

If you are running into an issue where you are selecting only the top-moist legend item and are unable to toggle Group Layer name  - this would be a different bug and one that we have not reproduced. In all my testing selecting JUST the top-most legend item works.

We understand that this workaround is cumbersome. 

Tom

0 Kudos
ZubairAlabdo
New Contributor

I faced this issue after update ARC pro to  2.5 , The Group layer name are not available, And the Descriptions I faced this issue after update ARC pro to  2.5 , The Group layer name are not available, And the Descriptions  

ShayanSeyedi
New Contributor

Same issue here

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Zubair Alabdo‌ and Shayan Seyedi‌ 

Tom referred to BUG-000128688: The Group layer name option in the Format Legend Ite.. It looks like that will be fixed when 2.6 releases in a couple of months.  Sorry for the frustration.  The layout team understood that this was frustrating so have improved the experience in the coming release.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Ness2
by
New Contributor III

I have the same issue.... keenly awaiting 2.6 bug fix....

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

Kory and others,

Release notes in ArcGIS Pro 2.6, Beta 2 showing that this BUG not fixed. The same is for BUG-000104316. Really frivolous! Obviously ESRI enjoys playing with its customers.

0 Kudos