In our process to migrate to ArcPro... We tried to geocode with a locator that was created in ArcMap. That made the locator unusable and we had to create a new locator from the same source via ArcPro. This new locator worked and we gave this new locator the same name as the old one to not interfere with any other process that calls that locator.
Later, we ran a model in ArcMap that calls that locator. The model was not able to use that locator.
Trying to open the Pro locator properties in ArcMap will return an error saying that the file could not be opened.
Trying to open any old locators in ArcPro will crash ArcPro....
3 of the old locators will crash ArcPro if the properties are opened.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with locators created in ArcMaps unusable in Pro and vice versa? Is cross platform capabilities for locators something in the works? or should we start converting all of our models, scripts and locators to Pro?
What version of Pro are you using?
I have never had Pro crash when using the 'classic' style locators; is it crashing when you use them or when you open the properties? it sounds like something, somehow has corrupted the locator.
If you use the create address locator tool in Pro, and mimic your original ArcMap locators do you still experience the problems?
Looping in Shana Britt as it's a safe bet she can provide some insight.
The version of Pro is 2.6.
I've only tried opening the properties of the old locator, not planning to try to use any of them in Pro as it corrupted our main locator.
There are no issues when the platform the locator was created in matches the platform that it's used in.
It is very odd that a locator created in ArcMap would be corrupted when used for geocoding in ArcGIS Pro.
1. Did you get an error in Pro when geocoding with the locator created in ArcMap?
2. What version of ArcMap are you using?
3. What version are the ArcMap locators?
4. Locators created with the Create Locator tool in Pro cannot be used in ArcMap in any way unless it has been published as a service and the service is used in ArcMap. The locators must be published from Pro to Portal or standalone ArcGIS Server. The error you received while trying to look at the properties of the locator created with the Create Locator tool in Pro is expected.
5. You should be able to use the Find tool in ArcMap or the geocoding toolbar to locate an address while you wait for a table to batch geocode.
6. The ArcMap model that references the new locator created in Pro will not be able to access the locator.
7. Please send your crash dump in for the crash encountered when trying to open the properties of the ArcMap locators.
The waters begin to get real muddy when using python 2.x (32 bit) and ArcGIS Pro (64 bit and python 3.x). My suggestion is if you are experimenting for your Pro migration, you use Pro and it's associated python and tools. Mixing and matching older python and a new platform is going to be frustrating for you and not a fair evaluation of the new platform and geocoding paradigm.
Thanks for sending the dmp file, hopefully we find some useful details within it. It's possible you may need to submit this problem to Support and get a bug logged and include as many steps as possible.
1. Are you able to recreate the old locators with one of your models in ArcMap? If so, do they also cause an error in Pro?
2. If you are not able to look at the properties of the old locators in ArcMap, you could open the *.loc.xml of the old locator in an XML or text editor to see the version of the old locator, below 10.7 is highlighted.
If you still have locators that were previously created in ArcMap that are similar to the locators that crashed Pro when you opened the properties, please submit them and your steps to Support as a bug. If you are unable to log a Support ticket you can direct them to me offline. It looks like this type of crash has been reported multiple times and we'd like to fix it and understand what about the locators caused the crash.