Locate Point in Polygon and commit GlobalID to reference field

Jump to solution
02-01-2021 07:32 AM
Labels (1)
no33mis
New Contributor II

Dear Community,

I am currently working on a test solution to implement some of our applications as ESRI WebApps. For this, I have already set up an fgdb and defined all the fields as well as the relationships. However, I am unable to apply a locate function that automatically triggers the values in a relationship field.

In detail: I have several points that lie within a polygon. If a user creates a new point (online in a WebApp) , its foreign key field should automatically get filled with the GlobalID of the polygon. I have tried to implement this within ArcGIS Pro, and later after publishing the map in the webapp builder, without success so far. I am able to see the relationship between the point and a polygon in the pop-up window, which is empty so far though.

I would highly appreciate some ideas and inputs.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you elaborate on what your attempted implementations look like? I know you say they didn't work, but it's always helpful to know that sort of thing in coming up with alternative solutions.

For what it's worth, the Smart Editor widget already has this capability, grabbing an attribute from an intersected layer. Check out the attribute actions section in particular.

If the layer resides in a geodatabase, you can also put in place an Attribute Rule that could essentially do the same thing. The major benefit with an attribute rule is that it will apply anywhere the layer is used, regardless of the interface or widget, but it would need to be in an enterprise geodatabase to be used in an online environment.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you elaborate on what your attempted implementations look like? I know you say they didn't work, but it's always helpful to know that sort of thing in coming up with alternative solutions.

For what it's worth, the Smart Editor widget already has this capability, grabbing an attribute from an intersected layer. Check out the attribute actions section in particular.

If the layer resides in a geodatabase, you can also put in place an Attribute Rule that could essentially do the same thing. The major benefit with an attribute rule is that it will apply anywhere the layer is used, regardless of the interface or widget, but it would need to be in an enterprise geodatabase to be used in an online environment.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
no33mis
New Contributor II

Dear Josh,

Thanks for your response.

As chance would have it, I have just found the same solution yesterday by working with the smart editor. I will definitely check out the attribut rule as well when it comes to implementing the final solution.

Cheers,
Noée