Locate Features Along Routes tool - Pro specific problems

08-26-2019 02:33 PM
MarkWasser
New Contributor II

I need to calculate the distance of a set of stream sampling locations from the stream mouth. After prepping all the data, I was attempting to do this using the Locate Features Along Routes tool in Pro (v2.3). No matter what I try, I get an "ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support......". After many fails, I closed Pro, opened my data in ArcMap (10.6.1), and ran the tool with no problems. Any ideas on the potential source of this error/fail. I'm using a single polyline (all sections merged), which I've created a route from using the Create Routes tool. The input features are a point feature class with all points previously snapped to the polyline. All these data are in the same projected coordinate system. Screen shots from both Pro and Desktop are below.

Example of failed attempt in Pro (2.3)

Success in ArcMap (10.6.1) with Tool reopened and the parameters I used inputted for reference

Output table from successful generation in ArcMap

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What is your data source(e.g. SDE, file geodatabase, shapefile, other)?  Just something to look at to see if changing this improves your Pro result.

0 Kudos
IanPryor1
New Contributor III

I get this same error very frequently with Pro and believe it is related to the file path for the output table. Any path with a space or too many characters causes the error 99999 but changing the output table to a default GDB with a short name like c:\Temp\fake.gdb it typically works correctly.

0 Kudos