Locate Addresses with Units

07-22-2019 01:18 PM
BryanLynn1
New Contributor III

I have created a locator using the Point Address Role. The locator works but it will not locate or provide candidates for addresses that contain units. For example: 606 Main St will work but 606 Main St Suite 150 will not. This is a big problem when all of the addresses on a parcel have unit addresses. For example: 10001 Kingston Pike only exists with units (e.g. Suite 100 - 150) and since all the address points have unit values it will not show up in the candidates list.

0 Kudos
68 Replies
AnnaStam
New Contributor III

Thanks @BradNiemand. Aside from suggestions, subaddresses will only geocode when # or some type of indicator is included in the single line input. Do you know if an upcoming release of Pro will accommodate for geocoding addresses such as 100 Main St B (no # sign), and have it correctly geocoded to the unit address?

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

What version of Pro are you using?  This is already supported so if you are having an issue geocoding without the unit type then it would be something we would like to know about and look into.

Brad

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Anna:

You can currently enter '100 Main St B ' or '100 Main St B, Redlands' in the Locate pane and get suggestions that return '100 Main St B' or '100 Main St Unit B, Redlands' depending on how the locator was built. Are you saying that when you select the suggestion when the input does not include a subunit indicator (# or unit, apt, suite....) that it zooms to the wrong location?

If the subunit info 'Unit B' is in a single field in the reference data, the # subunit indicator is required. The best practice is to format the reference data so that the unit type and unit id are in separate fields to get the best results.

If you built your locator with zone (neighborhood, city, state, zip) mapped, do you have 'Match with no zone' set to 'YES'? If you built the locator w/o any zone mapped, the 'Match with no zone' property is set to 'YES' by default. I have seen that when this property is not set correctly that it can affect subaddress search results.

-Shana

0 Kudos
AnnaStam
New Contributor III

Hi @ShanaBritt, thanks for your response. The locator is set to YES for Match with no zone and that is not an issue. Thanks to @BradNiemand I figured out why subunit indicators were unnecessary in ArcGIS Pro but needed when using the REST service - because we are still on Enterprise 10.7.

My question now is about reverse geocoding - when using our Pro locator built with PointAddress and StreetAddress roles, coordinates for a subaddress are incorrectly matched to the nearest non-subaddress. Essentially, subaddresses cannot be reverse geocoded. I've had a case open on this for weeks but no resolution yet - are you aware of anyone else having issues with this?

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you still referring to using this locator in 10.7 or is this in Pro?  Reverse geocoding of subaddresses was not supported until Pro 2.7 and Enterprise 10.9.

Brad

0 Kudos
AnnaStam
New Contributor III

This is an issue in Pro - I'm using 2.8.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

What version of Pro was the locator created in.  It may require you to recreate the locator to get this functionality.  If that is not the case, I think this may warrant a support issue.

Brad

0 Kudos
AnnaStam
New Contributor III

I'm on 2.8! The locator works fine within Pro, but the unit problem occurs when using the published service via REST URL.

BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Well that brings up the next question of what version of ArcGIS Enterprise are you using?  Looks like you would need 10.8.1 for that functionality to be supported.

Brad

AnnaStam
New Contributor III

Gotcha - we're on 10.7 but upgrading soon. Thanks for letting me know, that clears things up!

0 Kudos