Loading mxd files with network and service area analysis extremely slow

08-13-2019 03:32 AM
AngelaMiller
New Contributor

I have some files that are not overly large but with a significant number of facilities and service areas defined. These files can take more than an hour to load. Does ArcMap reload facilities and recalculate service areas when you open the file? I would have assumed that once you solved for service areas that ArcMap would save those service areas rather than recalculating it. Perhaps I am misunderstanding how it manages this data?

My machine exceeds the baseline requirements for ArcMap and only mxd files with service areas defined seem to take overly long to load. In these files I do not have basemaps loaded and all data is local to the machine. All layers, network datasets, and service areas are in the same projection and in the same folder.

Just curious if I am doing something fundamentally wrong in saving these files or if this performance should be expected. I did export the Polygons and Lines to their own shapefiles so I suppose I can save a version without the Service Areas defined- but it seemed easier to not recreate this every time I needed to update the analysis with a next iteration.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried the same operation in Pro to see if there is an increase in speed to load these features?

0 Kudos
AngelaMiller
New Contributor

Apologies as there was a problem with my ArcGIS Pro license that took all of this time to resolve. Testing this morning using Pro shows also very slow load times to open the file.

Does the software recalculate all of the service areas in the file on opening the file? Is that what takes so long- recalculating several service areas?

0 Kudos