Load Data vs Append vs Import syntax

Jump to solution
11-30-2020 12:19 PM
Labels (2)
LuciaBarbato1
New Contributor III

Seeking clarification here. I'm a long-time ArcMap user transitioning to AGP. I've used the ArcMap Simple Data Loader in which the wizard clearly explains the tool will load data from various FCs into an existing FC in a GDB. In AGP, the process starts out the same by r-clicking a FC > Load Data. But then the Append GP tool displays. Are we now appending data or loading data? If the FC is empty to begin, is not  'Import' more appropriate since there are no features to append to? I understand what is going on, and personally don't have an issue, but interchanging terms makes it cumbersome to explain to others in documentation. Since the Simple Data Loader no longer exists, would it be more consistent to use 'Import Data' when r-clicking?

Yours in GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@KoryKramer - is this something you can bring up with the AGP Dev Team about renaming UI Context menus for "Load Data" vs. "Append" as the Simple Data Loader is deprecated?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Lucia - you're spot on with your description of "load data" in ArcMap vs ArcGIS Pro.  In ArcMap the right-click opens the Simple Data Loader (not supported in AGP) and in ArcGIS Pro, it opens the Append GP tool.  It's definitely a wording issue in my perspective (longtime ArcMap user here too - 8.0 days!).  What I would recommend you do is go to the following webpage and at the very bottom, click "Feedback on this topic?"  From there you're redirected to provide feedback that then goes to the Esri team that creates/edits/updates the Help section.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
LuciaBarbato1
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert - Glad to know I'm not off base. I'll be glad to provide feed back as you suggested.  That might help with documentation, however, before doing so, I'm concerned that updating documentation would only partially help the issue. It would still leave the Load Data menu item in AGP that would also need to be updated to 'Import Data' or similar to be consistent with documentation. Does that make sense?

Yours in GIS
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

...is not  'Import' more appropriate since there are no features to append to? 

Not neccesarily; I use a sequece of truncate followed by append all the time in certain workflows.  Works like a charm and I wouldn't consider import.

That should just about do it....
LuciaBarbato1
New Contributor III

I don't have a big issue with using the 'Append' tool when importing records to an empty FC. The original concern is with the inconsistency with the use of 'Load Data' on the context menu. With the deprecation of the Simple Data Loader in AGP, it seems confusing and inconsistent to first instruct a user that you are going to load something, and then display an append tool.  Why not have Append Data on the context menu instead of Load Data? It would also make documentation much clearer.

Yours in GIS
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@KoryKramer - is this something you can bring up with the AGP Dev Team about renaming UI Context menus for "Load Data" vs. "Append" as the Simple Data Loader is deprecated?

0 Kudos