Linear Referencing "Overlay Route Events" returns zero length line events when it is not supposed to

05-07-2020 06:59 AM
WillHouston
New Contributor III

I am modeling streets in my city with linear referencing in ArcGIS Pro. This is all new to me, so I am not confident I have configured everything correctly. I am seeing what look like zero length events returned from "Overlay Route Events" even though the box is unchecked. My routes were set up such that:

• Route m values are derived from the length of the features.
  • Route m values ignore spatial gaps.
  • Roads are sectioned off for paving purposes, so that is an event layer without overlap (each section does share a m-value with adjacent sections, though).
  • Construction events, like repaving a road, are an event layer with overlap and without pure overlap to the underlying sections (e.g. a contractor busts a water main and repaves only a part of a section of a road, not the entire section).

My goal is to get to an Excel file with data about the sections. I am using the tool "Overlay Route Events" with the "Keep zero length line events" unchecked. I have a construction event on route 0336 from 2282.2725 to 3029.9642. The FromMeasure there, 2282.2725, is the changeover point for the related sections 0336-00 and 0336-01. That is to say it is the FromMeasure for section 0336-00 and the ToMeasure for 0336-01 (sectionIDs were assigned before creating routes, and the tool chose the other direction for m values for this road). When I run "Overlay Route Events", I get the row:

OBJECTIDRouteIDFromMeasureToMeasureSECTIONIDSTREETID
12303362282.27252282.2725A0336010336

I have run this multiple times now, and gotten the same result. The only way I can get this row to not appear is to modify the FromMeasure for the construction event to 2282.2726. Route 0336 is not a multipart feature.

Does anyone have a workaround other than not having any of my events share vertices?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WillHouston
New Contributor III

I originally thought this was a floating point error because when I went to edit the vertex data for the route, the 2282.2725 was actually 2282.27250000001. I have done a number of things to these tables, and now I cannot replicate the issue. One thing I did was change the Rounding Decimal places to 11. I don't really know if that fixed anything, but around the time I made that change the zero length records stopped showing up. However, when I change the rounding back to 6 (where it started), it started missing records that it should have included. Then I restarted ArcGIS Pro and it worked correctly (no zero length lines). I have no idea what is going on any more.

Since this post, I have also seen this tool return zero length line events because of ignoring spatial gaps. I was able to recreate my routes with spatial gaps in the m-values, and everything worked properly.

0 Kudos