Limiting Tile Package Basemap to certain zoom levels - but still allowing low-quality zoom in

09-14-2021 09:51 AM
Labels (1)
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

This is a bit of a weird question to explain - but I'm trying to create a basemap of aerial imagery to load onto user's mobile devices, and I've iterated over this a number of times to try to get the desired result. Close, but not there yet.

I'm limiting the export aerial imagery tile cache behind the basemap to a zoom level of 17 (1:9,028). So beyond that zoom level, no tiles are created

However, I still would like the ability to zoom in beyond that (not using additional tiles, but just zooming into the existing tiles - no matter how blurry the basemap gets).

I feel like I've done this before but can't quite remember how. I've tried making the tile package maximum larger than the tile cache maximum, but the imagery still cuts out past Zoom level 17.

I'm working with quite a large cache of aerial imagery, so any guidance on how to get the desired result, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Henry

Henry
0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@Henry , i think this one is possibly out of reach, but i'm keen to hear if others disagree.

When you say you remember being able to zoom in and the basemap would persist and blur as you zoomed in; I think that was in a mobile application? In collector and field maps, when you reach the limit of your tiled basemap levels, you can continue to zoom in, but in an online webmap, the zoom levels stop at the tile limit of your basemap cache.

If you were to add blank cache levels in your basemap, you will get white screen in both the browser web map and in a mobile app, because the web map will request tiles at those levels. 

So i think the answer to your question is;

If you want to have the basemap zoom in beyond the last cache level and still exist in low res, you can, but only in a mobile app.

David
..Maps with no limits..
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

That's exactly it, used in mobile apps such as Survey123, Collector, Field Maps.

So should I rebuild the tile cache at the highest level of detail and when creating the tile package tpkx restrict it to desired zoom level level on the export?

Henry
0 Kudos