LiDAR point symbology using RGB and Intensity

Jump to solution
06-19-2015 07:30 AM
BryanBoutz1
New Contributor III

The connected 2D and 3D mapping abilities of ArcGIS pro are very handy for combining LiDAR point cloud data with other 2D and 3D spatial data sets.  Most of my LiDAR data has RGB or at least intensity values which I can use in ArcScene to make nice fly-throughs and graphics to help people visualize a location.   How do I use the RGB and Intensity values to render symbols in Pro?  It isn't listed in the "Draw Using" drop down but in ArcScene it shows in the LAS Dataset toolbar as a symbolization option.

I understand this may be a data issue, but I'm intrigued why something so easy and useful in ArcScene seems impossible in Pro.

I'm using ArcGIS Pro Beta 1.1 and  ArcScene 10.3.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I understand this may be a data issue, but I'm intrigued why something so easy and useful in ArcScene seems impossible in Pro.

Hi Bryan Boutz ,

You're absolutely right that the option you describe would be a very useful functionality in Pro. Pro is not a replacement for ArcMap, and does not include all the options offered in ArcMap (yet).

If you look at all the functionality build in ArcMap then it is a huge amount of functionality that needs to be build from scratch in Pro (64 bits, multi-threaded). That will take some time.

For numerous workflows users can use Pro, but there are several workflows that are not possible yet with Pro. There are about 2 - 3 releases planned for Pro per year. With this update cycle you will "soon" be able to do the things you want tot do in Pro.

If you look at the video posted by Rob Elkins​ where Jim McKinney (ArcGIS Program Manager, CTO Desktop Software Development) talks about ArcGIS Pro and ends with a comment that he want to hear from the users to use that feedback to make ArcGIS Pro better. Since you use beta, you're in the beta program. Use that or use the Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal to provide this feedback. ArcGIS Pro was built based on the most wanted features entered at the ideas.arcgis.com website. Post you idea there and include the link to the idea here and I (and others) will promote the idea.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Bryan,

If I recall correctly that ability wasn't in Pro 1.0 or available in the beta of 1.1. 

Look for these enhancements in the release of Pro 1.1, which is in final certification testing now.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

XanderBakker

Hi Bryan Boutz ,

You're absolutely right that the option you describe would be a very useful functionality in Pro. Pro is not a replacement for ArcMap, and does not include all the options offered in ArcMap (yet).

If you look at all the functionality build in ArcMap then it is a huge amount of functionality that needs to be build from scratch in Pro (64 bits, multi-threaded). That will take some time.

For numerous workflows users can use Pro, but there are several workflows that are not possible yet with Pro. There are about 2 - 3 releases planned for Pro per year. With this update cycle you will "soon" be able to do the things you want tot do in Pro.

If you look at the video posted by Rob Elkins​ where Jim McKinney (ArcGIS Program Manager, CTO Desktop Software Development) talks about ArcGIS Pro and ends with a comment that he want to hear from the users to use that feedback to make ArcGIS Pro better. Since you use beta, you're in the beta program. Use that or use the Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal to provide this feedback. ArcGIS Pro was built based on the most wanted features entered at the ideas.arcgis.com website. Post you idea there and include the link to the idea here and I (and others) will promote the idea.

0 Kudos
BryanBoutz1
New Contributor III

Thank you .  I understand the challenges that the new platform brings. I just wasn't sure if I was doing something incorrectly or looking in the wrong place.  I'll try to log the idea as you suggested. 

For what it's worth, I very much like Pro. I'm a developer building custom geo spatial solutions and I'm looking forward to Pro maturing enough that I can help my clients apply it directly to their workflows.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Great to hear that! Make sure to post back the URL to the idea so we can promote it!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Just read in UC Q&A | 2015 Esri User Conference

What have you done to improve mapping and visualization in ArcGIS Pro 1.1?

ArcGIS Pro has many enhancements that improve mapping and visualization. We have added rulers, guides and snapping in layouts. This will make it much easier to setup a page and align elements. We also added extent indicators to layouts with new options for leader lines and improvements to how you can symbolize indicators. Other enhancements to mapping include the ability to share symbol style files through your Portal or ArcGIS Online.

Visualization improvements include new raster renderers that make it possible to show multidimensional raster as vector making it possible to display multiple values at the same time, such as wind speed and direction. We also included new Lidar visualization renderers to display your Lidar data as stretch, intensity, or as RGB colors, for a more real world depiction. One of the big new features for visualization is a new range slider that lets you dynamically update a view of your data based on a range of any numeric value. This lets you query and visualize data in new ways, and really improves the experience for visualizing 3D data

0 Kudos